SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the buttons on my car key (lock, unlock, trunk), none of them work. I can still use the key to manually open the driver door, but i must reach over to unlock the passenger door. I cannot manually push down with my hand the driver door lock. If i wanna lock the car, i have to physically use the key in the door.

When I put the key in the ignition, sometimes it won't turn and stay on lock. It seems as if the key works sometimes when I press on the brake. When I get the car started up... eventually, the SID says check OK and everything operates as planned.

Lastly, when I am done driving, or preparing to drive, i cannot manually push down the driver side lock, it stays stuck in its unlocked position, and I have to lock the doors by inserting the key into the lock on the outside of the door.

Does anyone know what the problem is, I tried to be a thorough as possible

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Is this an automatic or manual transmission?

...So the buttons on my car key (lock, unlock, trunk), none of them work. I can still use the key to manually open the driver door, but i must reach over to unlock the passenger door.
Have you tried a new battery in the FOB?

... I cannot manually push down with my hand the driver door lock. If i wanna lock the car, i have to physically use the key in the door.
If the door is open, you should not be able to press the lock down. It's a lowest common denominator preventative :lol:. You should be able to press it down from inside the car with the door(s) closed. See below

When I put the key in the ignition, sometimes it won't turn and stay on lock. It seems as if the key works sometimes when I press on the brake. When I get the car started up... eventually, the SID says check OK and everything operates as planned.
Seems as if the ignition lock tumbler sheer points may be worn? IIRC, you cannot take the key out of an automatic unless the transmission is either in park or neutral? This said, is the selector cable adjusted correctly?
Lastly, when I am done driving, or preparing to drive, i cannot manually push down the driver side lock, it stays stuck in its unlocked position, and I have to lock the doors by inserting the key into the lock on the outside of the door.
This pressumes you are inside the vehicle with the door(s) closed which you should be able to press the lock down. I've not been in the door in a bit, but there is a lockout that is activated on the manual lock when the door is open that is disengaged electro-mechanically when the key is used or the lock button on the FOB is pressed or the door is closed. This prevents folks from locking their key in the car - supposedly. It seems as if this lockout is not properly disengaging when the door is closed (maybe)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an automatic transmission, and i got the door to lock manually now, you were right about having the door closed. But the key still isn't working for remotely unlocking the doors, and i did replace the battery.

·
Registered
901 Posts
It is an automatic transmission, and i got the door to lock manually now, you were right about having the door closed.
Yay? Locking then unlocking the door while in the vehicle probably unlocks all the doors preventing the driver from having to reach all the way over to unlock the passenger door :cheesy: - depends how things where configured at the factory.
Pressing the brake actually does nothing except as coincidence. There is no brake interlock for the starter as some cars require. If you depress the shift lock does the shifter disengage and move smoothly? or do you have to motivate it? If it requires extra motivation to shift out of park (with you foot on the brake), look into adjusting the shift cable (turn it clockwise to tighten it, counter-clockwise to loosen it).
Even more likely, the ignition lock tumbler mechanism needs some attention. This requires removal of the entire shift mount. It's not as terrible as it sounds. There are a few howto's floating about regarding reconditioning/ lubricating the ignition switch and ensuring the interlocks are functioning correctly.
... the key still isn't working for remotely unlocking the doors, and i did replace the battery.
Are you sure the battery is installed correctly :eek: - it happens. Some have reported varying degrees of success with various resync methods. Key in the ignition, press the unlock button a few times (>4). Standing close to the car press the unlock button a few times etc... It is possible, though unlikely, the receiver is dislocated or otherwise inoperable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shifter is operating as expected, and I am fairly certain that I intalled the battery correctly. Is seated how the previous battery was. I haven't tried it with the key in the ignition yet, so I'll give that a whirl. Provided the assumption that it doesn't work, could there be any mechanical parts that are at fault that might need to be replaced?

·
Registered
901 Posts
The shifter is operating as expected, and I am fairly certain that I intalled the battery correctly. Is seated how the previous battery was. I haven't tried it with the key in the ignition yet, so I'll give that a whirl. Provided the assumption that it doesn't work, could there be any mechanical parts that are at fault that might need to be replaced?
Has the FOB ever actually worked? If no, turn the battery over. and try again. Also, it does happen occassionally that a new battery is dead.

There are electro-mechanical parts that could potentially need to be replaced. However, at the very least I would expect that you would hear the door attempt to unlock or the alarm chirp if the FOB was recognized and/ or working. Otherwise there are no mechanical parts that would be faulty regarding the door(s) specifically since the lock does in fact manually function as designed.

It is possible the remote receiver is malfunctioning or it is somehow unplugged (spilled drinks - maybe?). It is located inside the rear of the center console.

It looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAAB-9-3-9-5-4873972-Alarm-Remote-Control-Receiver-LUCAS-/151136954688

Worst case, the FOB internals are trashed and will never work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The FOB used to work yes, and I hope its a problem with the receiver if anything, because those are cheaper to replace than the key haha. The soft top does leak, so it is possible that moisture got onto the receiver.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i have had issues in the past where it would not work and i finally figured it was a poor connection from the receiver to the harness under the rear of the console. I put a plastic tie-wrap around the receiver and the wire harness to keep a little side tension on the connector pins and it has been ok since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts