SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched for a similar issue to mine but I can't seem to find the exact problem/solution.

My issue is that my top starts to raise or lower, then stops and I get a "Soft top failure" message. I wait a few seconds then try again and it works, sometimes opening/closing completely, sometimes I have to repeat the process.
There doesn"t seem to be a certain point in it's travel where it stops, it seems quite random.
I've lubricated all the joints etc, that I can get to.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I would check the limit microswitch function - Tech 2 is very helpful here so you can monitor all the components, but you can (painstakingly) attempt it with a multimeter too. The problem is that if the switches are intermittently functional, they're hard to catch....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would check the limit microswitch function - Tech 2 is very helpful here so you can monitor all the components, but you can (painstakingly) attempt it with a multimeter too. The problem is that if the switches are intermittently functional, they're hard to catch....
Thanks for the reply.
Disappointed that it appears so complicated. Was hoping it might be just a low hydraulic fluid level or something a little easier!!!:confused:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lee: Its always worth checking the fluid level. That will cause issues. If you pull the floor carpet out of the trunk, there's a viewing port for the pump on the left hand side. Shine a flashlight in there to see the fluid. There's also access through the portal behind the rear seat in the pass through, but that's a long road to the same place.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lee: Its always worth checking the fluid level. That will cause issues. If you pull the floor carpet out of the trunk, there's a viewing port for the pump on the left hand side. Shine a flashlight in there to see the fluid. There's also access through the portal behind the rear seat in the pass through, but that's a long road to the same place.
Thanks Bob
I'll give it a try when I get the chance. Want to try to fix it before the warm weather comes!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so after a little investigation, I found that the 'Soft Top Cover Error' seems to be the main issue. I looked at a few of the switches - which seem OK but then I noticed, tucked behind the lining of the 'soft top down' storage area, that a switch was hanging loose. I've attached a couple of pics. There is a corresponding one on the passenger side and that one appears to be held in place by two plastic pins? I don't want to pull on that one and break it off, so I'm not too sure how it's held on to be honest. Anyway, I can see the two little holes where the loose one should go but I've fished about under the lining and can't find any lost pins or screws. Anybody familiar with this switch?

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts