SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking my ECU might be bad. I was going to try to grab one from the junkyard from a 99 to 02 or 03 convertible. Is it Plug and Play will any year not work like the 99. I have a tech too but unfortunately it's not hooked up to a laptop yet with security clearance so I don't think I can touch the ECU. Any info be greatly appreciated thanks a lot fellas.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Is your car T5 or T7?
If T5, you can use 9000 (94 up), ng 900 (only turbo) and og 9-3 98-00, (turbo, not Viggen). No diesel versions.
If T7, you can use any og 9-5 (not diesel) or og 9-3 01-03 or Viggen.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its t7. I just pulled one out of an 03 9-3 convertible. Am I right in thinking I can't marry it myself with the tech 2 unless I have it hooked up to the laptop with security clearance.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I don't think you need SPS to program a T7 ECM. You just need to "assign" the immobilizer code from TWICE to the ECM. IIRC you want to remove the radio via Tech 2, swap the ECMs, program the immobilizer via Tech 2, then add the radio back in. I have never personally done this, but I recall this is the fastest way to swap T7 ECMs.

Edit: This is assuming you are swapping similar ECMs... eg, one 2.0 ECM for another 2.0 ECM, etc. NOT swapping a 2.3 FPT ECM for a 2.0 ECM, etc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya the cars were exactly the same 2003 93 convertibles. The only difference is mine's blue and the one I pulled it off his black from mechanically electronically the same car. I was reading on Euro parts website where to find the immobilizer code it said that it was on the back of the connector for the ECU or at least that's what I understood but I didn't see any code there just the stickers that are on the ECU itself. here's a picture of it .if the code isn't here then I'll have to go back and find it on the car.thanks Javanbra your help is much appreciated as always.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
I don't think you need SPS to program a T7 ECM. You just need to "assign" the immobilizer code from TWICE to the ECM. IIRC you want to remove the radio via Tech 2, swap the ECMs, program the immobilizer via Tech 2, then add the radio back in. I have never personally done this, but I recall this is the fastest way to swap T7 ECMs.

Edit: This is assuming you are swapping similar ECMs... eg, one 2.0 ECM for another 2.0 ECM, etc. NOT swapping a 2.3 FPT ECM for a 2.0 ECM, etc.
Ya the cars were exactly the same 2003 93 convertibles. The only difference is mine's blue and the one I pulled it off his black from mechanically electronically the same car. I was reading on Euro parts website where to find the immobilizer code it said that it was on the back of the connector for the ECU or at least that's what I understood but I didn't see any code there just the stickers that are on the ECU itself. here's a picture of it .if the code isn't here then I'll have to go back and find it on the car.thanks Javanbra your help is much appreciated as always.

Look in WIS. You have to go to TWICE (if I recall) and select "Immobilizer" from the menu. WIS covers ECU change.

I believe that the ECU can be configured for your car with just the Tech II. If you want the latest software, then you need the laptop/TIS2000.

I'm going to try this on my 9-5; I got a spare ECU from a similar but not identical 9-5 (2002 automatic instead of 2003 manual). I do have the laptop. But step one will be to see if the ECU can be made to work in my car with just the Tech II; the second step is to update the software to the latest. That has all sorts of nifty things like DIC diagnostics, that were developed in late 2003. I am pretty sure that what works on later 9-5 T7 cars should work on earlier 9-3 T7 cars.

And yep, that's what a T7 ECU looks like.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Ed. I'm finding out my computer guys not as good as I thought he was which is kind of sad cuz he owns a store and does it for a living. I dropped off my laptop my Dell 630 two weeks ago with a copy of the wis and he still has not been able to get it to play. The computer came with Windows XP Pro 32-bit and he changed it to 64-bit why I don't know. So he's putting it back to 32 bit which hopefully will allow me to see my Wis and he's supposed to download the crack version of the tis2000.i have him a link to Javanbras instructions on this . So with a little luck sometime by Christmas I should get a look at it. Maybe it's time to find a new IT guy. LOL

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I tried to go in and talk to the ECU it couldn't even establish communication with it so it's definitely got me thinking that there's something wrong with it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In sps it's saying request info then it pulls up the info for the original ECU then it says ready to upload to tis2000. And it says hook up to tis2000 to program.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The car was throwing a lot of codes for throttle body throttle position sensor it was in limp mode so I switched out my good throttle body for my other car. As soon as I did that the dash cleared no lights no codes she's idling and driving normally. It looks like it was just an ABS module and a throttle body. The car sounds like a jalopy right now because I had to cut the pipe a foot past the cat going back they had the whole thing welded from one end to the other I had to knock out the cat cuz it was clogged. I've just got a little connector on there right now it must be spilling out near the connector I think that's why it's running a little rough off the start it also might have a few cracked tubing's or vacuum hoses. The passenger side axle is losing Grease and the plastic near the Hub has lost its fitting I've got a brand new axle waiting for me I just got to go pick it up in Windsor. The car is dancing a little left to right when I move in especially under acceleration I'm figuring that's the axle maybe a little bit of bad alignment I'm going to put my 3 inch downpipe that's brand new off the other car all the way back on this thing while I'm swapping out the transmission on the other one see how this thing sounds with that pipe but I think I got 99% of it nailed down now seems to be pretty solid on the engine side. Kind of a shocker that the throttle body would make the traction control light go off. Either that or taking out the ECM and putting it back in reset it for a little while and it's going to go Haywire in a minute. I'm not taking anything for granted with this car but I'm going to drive it a little bit knock some of the rust off and see what's happening. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took the car for a 20-minute ride so far and she's doing great everything seems to be performing Pretty normally still no lights coming up. So in this case I don't think I'm going to have to mess with the ECU but if I did have to once I got to where it says Diagnostics and gives you the list of options after I put in the year the car model of the car what would I choose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts