SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

I have a photo below of the battery hold down on my 93.

I cannot seem to find a socket that fits the center nut, I have tried, 5mm, 5.5mm, 6 and 7.

Only 6 seems to get a decent purchase but it is still slightly loose and 5.5 does not fit.

But perhaps the metal has swollen slightly due to the corrosion?

I now see in my photo that the plastic panel has also fractured.

Does anyone have a good idea of the best way for me to get the center bolt loose?

I can repair the plastic hold down panel and put back a new metal bolt.

Thanks for any info.

WD./

IMG_7727.jpg
IMG_7728.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it's suppose to be a 13mm/1/2" socket..
Thanks for the reply.

But it really looks like a winged plastic washer type thing with a small bolt in the middle of a fender washer.

I can't get any closer due to the side of the battery box.

I tried prying on the little wings and they pull away as if they are plastic (or heavily degraded very soft metal).

Just trying to be sure of what it is before I go and make it worse by breaking something off.

I bought the car from a friend and everything that I have ever had to get at was (way) overtightened by whatever local outfit he used to take it to.

I don't put it past them to have monkeyed up some "good enough" fix for something they mucked up.

My current "probably" will be to use a long blade screwdriver to break the clamp and then work out something as a hold-down.

But again, thanks for the info.

WD./

IMG_7728.jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,207 Posts
Then replace with correct bolt and a new hold down, that one is gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1. Break open plastic clamp.
2. Remove battery.
3. Vise Grips on bolt & remove. If that fails, weld a nut on offending bolt head, then remove, (y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would clean all the muck around it off first tbh. Get some battery cleaner, brake cleaner, or pv blaster or something. Then buy a strip socket set because it looks kind of stripped, which would explain why none of your sockets are working. If you don't feel like investing in a strip socket set, best thing you could do is weld a socket onto it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (don't do that)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts