SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, having some issues with the AC in my 2003 93 Arc. When the car is turned on, the compressor kicks in and the AC blows cold, but after a few seconds the compressor cuts off, the air blows ambient and it never kicks back on. What could be the cause of this? I'm assuming that since the compressor initially turns on and cools the air then the compressor is in working condition? Could it be some sort of relay? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

After doing some searching, I found this post that seems to be dealing with the same issue as I am,

"The problem appears to have been the engine fan controller which is a small black box that attaches to the engine fan cowling on the right hand side as you face the car. Mine has a single fan, if you follow the wire from the fan motor it goes into the controller. One of the pins in the controller had severely corroded preventing the highest speed fan setting from working. Just replaced the plug and controller and it's sorted the problem!"

Does anyone have a photo of the engine fan controller he is talking about? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
when was the last time the system was regassed..

there is a sensor which will shut the compressor off if the system is low on gas..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I'm not the most automotive knowledgable but by gas do you mean refrigerant? My mechanic friend attempted to recharge the system with refrigerant because he thought it just might be low but he said he was unable to charge it because the compressor cuts off after 2 seconds and he said the compressor needs to be running to draw in the refrigerant.

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
by gas do you mean refrigerant?
yes..;ol;

next point of call would be the low pressure sensor,this could be giving a faulty reading telling the system it is low on gas even though it isn't..

is the external temp in the sid reading correctly?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually no, it's not. The display on the dash shows the external temperature at 40 degrees F when it's really like 102 out... I never thought that those two problems could be connected.

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
do you have acc with the buttons & digital display.

the external temp sensor is tied into the a/c..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes my air is controlled through buttons and display on the center console... Not sure if this could be related but my stereo/ turn signal audio do not work either.

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
if the external temp is showing the wrong temp that needs to be changed for a new sensor,as it is tied into the ac system

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much for your help! When I first got the car a couple years ago I wasn't used to how low the front bumper is and I would sometimes go over the curb... the front spoiler and wires down there are all messed up so this is making perfect sense.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had the same problem. Check the wires, pull and replug the plug to the external temp sensors, that worked for me. I had mine apart to change the clutch and I guess the plug didnt make a good connection the first time.

·
Super Moderator
9,673 Posts
yes,the plug is missing though.but like i've mentioned i can't see how there is a temp reading on the sid if the sensor is missing..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts