SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear hatch door on my wagon has gotten extremely heavy and won't stay up any more. I have searched but can't seem to find any information about replacing what ever strut, lift, shock etc. needs replacing. Is this a do it yourself job? If so any one know where I can get the part and maybe some instructions?

Thanks!
Rodney

·
Registered
47 Posts
check eeuroparts.com,
http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=9507
"exterior body mechanical"
tailgate shock
Part Code: 4699260
Part Name: Tailgaite Shock
Part Brand: Genuine Saab
Part Cost: $54.00
Part Description:
Tailgate shock for any 99-06 9-5 wagon. 2 per car

this is a pretty straight forward job, you might need someone to hold the piston in when you fasten the free-end of the shock to the tailgate. i used to be brutal on tailgates and trunks, then i got tired of replacing the shocks, so i go easy now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
rcase13 said:
My rear hatch door on my wagon has gotten extremely heavy and won't stay up any more. I have searched but can't seem to find any information about replacing what ever strut, lift, shock etc. needs replacing. Is this a do it yourself job? If so any one know where I can get the part and maybe some instructions?

Thanks!
Rodney
Is it worse under colder conditions? I had this experience last "winter" when it was freezing for .05 of a day in Holland.

Arnie

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes. Just like gasses inside a balloon--when heated they 'push' harder against their surroundings. The gas in the shocks, when heated, push more on the piston rods so in the summer they work better (especially since the temp inside the car swings from 30 f degrees in the winter to 120+ f in th summer).

Not that it's recommended but when I replaced the struts on my wagon rear door I used a blow dryer on one strut then I replaced the other. The 'bad' strut held for about 10 minutes which was enough time for me to do the repair. In my experience one new strut will hold the entire door up while you do the other bad strut.

Also, in my experience it helps to park nose pointed downhill, the steeper the better. Try it--it's easier to open the boot when your car is downhill.

Note that this may not work for everyone--if your strut has bad seals then it'll likely be leaking badly and heating it won't help. Also, it's never a good idea to take a heat source very close to compressed gasses.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As usual this board comes through again. I'll order two struts and get to work!

Yeah I would say worse in the winter. Thanks for all the replies. I might wait until hotter days come though just to make it easier on me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
eeuroparts also offers a cheaper "scantech" tailgate shock for ~$20. Would anyone recommend going with the genuine Saab replacement over the scantech version and why?

Thanks,
David

Kobe Diesel said:
check eeuroparts.com,
http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=9507
"exterior body mechanical"
tailgate shock
Part Code: 4699260
Part Name: Tailgaite Shock
Part Brand: Genuine Saab
Part Cost: $54.00
Part Description:
Tailgate shock for any 99-06 9-5 wagon. 2 per car

this is a pretty straight forward job, you might need someone to hold the piston in when you fasten the free-end of the shock to the tailgate. i used to be brutal on tailgates and trunks, then i got tired of replacing the shocks, so i go easy now.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
turboBOOST said:
eeuroparts also offers a cheaper "scantech" tailgate shock for ~$20. Would anyone recommend going with the genuine Saab replacement over the scantech version and why?

Thanks,
David
Whenever you see the name Scantech, run far far away. I've not seen one solid, durable part made by this company. Many Volvo people have tried the Scantech boot lid/tailgate shocks and reported that they squeak like mad even from new and fail within a year. The Genuine Saab one will likely last 4 times longer at a cost of only 2.5 times more. Not to mention the hassle of replacing the parts much more often.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks, not exactly what I was hoping to hear as two of the scantech units cost $40 and two of the Genuine Saab parts will cost about $125 (the price listed in this thread is cheaper than they are today).

If I remember right, I used a scantech valve cover gasket on my 96 900SE and it didn't seal, so I'll do my best to take your advice!

Merry Christmas

David

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Mind and support the door as you are taking off the rams as the door is very heavy and change both at the same time. Jim

·
Registered
516 Posts
I posted this one a few days ago:

WIS instructions call it the Tailgate Gas Springs

You can prop up the door with a broomstick instead of a hair-drying contraption. Seems easier to me.
__

Does anyone know what they are supposed to feel like when new? My hatch stays up just fine, but is heavier than the other cars I've encountered.

Also, I can let it go when the edge is about eye level and it'll shut itself completely. So, whenever someone else closes that hatch they always SLAM it.

I know it works, but is this normal?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
turboBOOST said:
In my quest I came across another option on partsforsaabs.com. http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=1743

It indicates that these struts are the same quality as the Genuine Saab struts. They are an in-between on cost because shipping from the UK is $25 (I may see if they have other stuff I might need to combine shipping).
Be sure to inquire about the brand they are selling. It could very well be Scantech (they are Swedish afterall) and the seller certainly isn't going to instill doubt about product quality by saying it's not as good as OEM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts