SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there were a few good threads I could find with suggestions on the key battery. I tried pushing in the little hole on the side of the Key to open the door on back, but no luck. So I went to local Saab workshop, and they said they don't do it anymore, just have it replaced at Batteries Plus.

I went there, and the guy had no clue how to get it open.

So I just pushed hard on one of them, used a small screwdrived to pry it open, and pop! It opened :cheesy: ....unfortunately, I broke the clip :( oh well, at least I could see it and could get my other key open without too much difficulty.

So that others can see what it all looks like, I took some pics and poasted them. At least you can see how the clip works.

Basically, once I saw it, I took one of the fine screwdrivers that the guy at Batteries Plus had, inserted it at a little down angle, pressed in and pried up...it popped right out. (Note: you can press in too hard and break the clip, so try it a couple times with increasing pressure until you get it)

Anyway, good luck. Once open, the batteries were $3.50 each (Panasonic CR 1632 3v...was in mine, model number was on the indside of the lid). Lid just snaps back on.

Here is what it looks like!

Open Key and Lid

Key Lid - clip is on left, you are basically compressing/pinching it when you press in the hole from the left side of this picture

Key Lid - You can see the mark where the screwdriver pressed in the hole

Key Lid - Just another angle to see the other side, each corner has a flange that is hooked, so probably not possible to open from that side.

Good Luck!!
Matt

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW...then 4 presses on unlock, and it synced up fine. Seems to me only a little more range than I had before. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the info. When I had to replace my battery ('02 9-5) I could not find a 1632 battery. I ended up using a 1625 which is much more common, and pushed the clips down slightly to make up for the thinner battery (ie, 2.5 mm vs 3.2 mm). It's been working fine for a month now.

Rod.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Not everybody does the hands on with their cars but this little job will be experienced by all at some point and these pics will definitely help out.

Good work Matt :cool:

·
Registered
233 Posts
i just had to replace mine too.though,im still in the market for the battery.radio shack told me to come back on tuesday.it takes a surprising amount of force to get the lid up and out.

good thing it came with a spare key....whose battery is also on its last leg:confused:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
perfect! thanks for the How-To

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
for what it's worth, the 2032 battery is more common and will also fit. it's just a little thinner. just changed both of mine. working great now!

·
Registered
740 Posts
You sure about that? They should be both the same thickness (3.2 mm) but 2032 has a larger diameter (20mm) than 1632 (16mm). I am not sure that 2032 will fit...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
fits just fine. it's in there now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rod'899kT said:
Thanks for the info. When I had to replace my battery ('02 9-5) I could not find a 1632 battery. I ended up using a 1625 which is much more common, and pushed the clips down slightly to make up for the thinner battery (ie, 2.5 mm vs 3.2 mm). It's been working fine for a month now.

Rod.
Tried looking on ebay? I got 5 batteries for £2.60 (about $5) :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Seems easy for mine...

Placing the key "remote buttons" side down, there is a small hole on the left. Used a "straightened", little bigger paper clip, pushed once and viola! Opened up no problem.

I'm gonna go to "Wally World" and see if they carry these batteries...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wal-Mart doesn't carry them, but ebay does. Just type in CR1632. I just purchased 5 engergizers for $5.90 US shipped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Broken Battery Cover

I sure wish I had found this site before I changed my batteries. I found the batteries at a watch shop. They helped me get the compartment open, but the little latch that you push with the straightened paper clip was broken in the process. I now have electrical tape holding the battery in because the back fell off.

Can I buy a replacement cover?

·
Registered
221 Posts
ShannonT said:
I sure wish I had found this site before I changed my batteries. I found the batteries at a watch shop. They helped me get the compartment open, but the little latch that you push with the straightened paper clip was broken in the process. I now have electrical tape holding the battery in because the back fell off.

I saw some "will-fit" keys on ebay for $15 (not sure how much S&H) I bet the cover from the key fits yours.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
ShannonT said:

Yes you can get it at the Dealer for like $3 they break a lot of these too....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jssaab said:
Yes you can get it at the Dealer for like $3 they break a lot of these too....
Unfortunately, living UP here in GODS Country (UP of Michigan) there are no dealers... oh, well, will just have to plan a family trip to Green Bay!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Perfect Tool

Gents,
I founfd the perfect tool for the tideous little fob side hole... a push pin... actually, it was my little girls idea... worked like a charm, put it in, push down like hell, then it is able to pry right off....

G

·
Jssaab writes: Yes you can get it at the Dealer for like $3 they break a lot of these too....

hmmmmm....My Stealer charged me $15 US for that key cover. Must be recovering the cost of the "free" hood emblem I got sa few weeks earlier

·
Registered
423 Posts
I replaced both my batteries last week successfully. I used an allen wrench and a precision screwdriver.

This thread and pictures were handy for me to avoid breaking the clip inside. Thanks!:p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts