SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all in the forum

Quick question re. the sat nav / radio unit on a 2003 9-5 2.0t estate
There is no sound coming from the speakers.
I thought I may have missed a mute button on the sat nav but this seems to be at full volume.
The normal manual volume buttons on the unit and the steering wheel are working fine as I can see the volume increasing on screen.
The radio is seeking and picking up the radio stations as well
Just no sound - annoying on long journeys!

Any help would be much appreciated

quann900

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Welcome.

Many things could be wrong. This will help.

http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab/faq_audio.shtml

Are you saying that you can hear the sat nav through the audio system or that you've just verified that the system shows full volume on the screen?

If you can hear the sat nav but not the radio/CD, then you've got a problem with the head unit itself. Probably a complete swap to fix, I'm afraid. PLEASE, if you're swapping the head unit, READ THE FAQ and SEARCH THE BOARD for others that have gone before. You must 'divorce' your head unit and 'marry' the new head unit to the car for it to work. Likewise, your replacement head unit must be 'divorced' from the donor car. This is real.

If you can't hear either one, my guess would be the little amplifier under the seat (in the US it's under the right-hand front seat, which is the passenger seat) is either disconnected or failed. Check that first.

If that's not the issue, then refer to the link above for all the information that you'd ever want.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a mill for the reply

The only thing I can hear is the 'beep' when you touch the sat nav screen.
I can't tell whether the beep is coming from the unit or the speakers but it sounds like the unit

I will check out the link

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Located the amp, everything seems fine, connections good etc, no sign of damp or any wetness going on.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Located the amp, everything seems fine, connections good etc, no sign of damp or any wetness going on.
Well, since all audio is out, it's either the amplifier, amplifier power (check the fuse), the output from the head unit (aka preamp) or the wiring between them.

Get cracking, those things aren't going to test themselves! ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Radio came on after much messing around with controls etc.
However it did so randomly and went off again.
I have tested every combination re. RDS and no news updates.
It seems to be either a connection or the Unit itself seems to have a mind of its own.
I'll keep trying and look at settings and connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts