SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a common thing apparently, but the other day while city driving, my 9-5 suddenly started acting like it was in neutral. I managed to get it over to the side of the street with my momentum. I checked oil, trans fluid, etc and the trans fluid was over full (the mechanic would later say thats a common sign of a broken pump). After letting it sit for a while, I got it to drive normally for about 2 miles to get it to the mechanic. After some inspection he said it was a mechanical problem with the trans and my options are to rebuild the trans or replace it with a used or close to new one.

My car has 110k miles and works beautifully otherwise. It blows that I bought it 2 months ago for around $3200 and now I need to spend another $1000-2000+on it.

Suggestions on the cheapest/most effective solution?

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
This isn't a common thing apparently, but the other day while city driving, my 9-5 suddenly started acting like it was in neutral. I managed to get it over to the side of the street with my momentum. I checked oil, trans fluid, etc and the trans fluid was over full (the mechanic would later say thats a common sign of a broken pump). After letting it sit for a while, I got it to drive normally for about 2 miles to get it to the mechanic. After some inspection he said it was a mechanical problem with the trans and my options are to rebuild the trans or replace it with a used or close to new one.

My car has 110k miles and works beautifully otherwise. It blows that I bought it 2 months ago for around $3200 and now I need to spend another $1000-2000+on it.

Suggestions on the cheapest/most effective solution?
Seems you may have gotten taken that the prior owner pro a my has trans issues and I overfilled the trans just to get rid of it Are there any codes for transmission stored

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
There are places on the drivers side of the transmission (you can see these through the wheel opening) where you or a competent transmission shop can plug in pressure gauges to determine what is going on inside. It'll certainly tell you if the main pump has failed as there will be no oil pressure. I'd find one that can really take that kind of a look at it and make sure before replacing the transmission since it's a big and expensive job. A used transmission will cost you somewhere around $500-$700 (there are tons of them on ebay) and it'll cost you about $1K to get it put in.

As JSaab said, try to read the codes to see if there is anything in there. is the CEL or check gearbox light on? If so, the transmission may be in limp home mode (in drive this is 5th gear which feels a lot like it's in neutral when you try to get going from stop)

Check and change the transmission oil. It may be worth it to do a flush and replace with Mobil 3309. If the PO put Dextron or some synthetic stuff in there it can cause issues.

Also, t his transmission is an AW55-51SN, which is a very common transmission used in Saab, GM, Volvo and Nissan products so a competent transmission shop should know it well enough to diagnose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are places on the drivers side of the transmission (you can see these through the wheel opening) where you or a competent transmission shop can plug in pressure gauges to determine what is going on inside. It'll certainly tell you if the main pump has failed as there will be no oil pressure. I'd find one that can really take that kind of a look at it and make sure before replacing the transmission since it's a big and expensive job. A used transmission will cost you somewhere around $500-$700 (there are tons of them on ebay) and it'll cost you about $1K to get it put in.

As JSaab said, try to read the codes to see if there is anything in there. is the CEL or check gearbox light on? If so, the transmission may be in limp home mode (in drive this is 5th gear which feels a lot like it's in neutral when you try to get going from stop)

Check and change the transmission oil. It may be worth it to do a flush and replace with Mobil 3309. If the PO put Dextron or some synthetic stuff in there it can cause issues.

Also, t his transmission is an AW55-51SN, which is a very common transmission used in Saab, GM, Volvo and Nissan products so a competent transmission shop should know it well enough to diagnose.

The cost of a used Trans makes me want to go that route though they might have similar issues and wear. Is it worth it to go full rebuild if it needs it ?
The codes are p1312 (which just has to do with the DI) and p0733- incorrect gear ratio, 3rd gear.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
In correct gear ratio can be a bunch of things....

first would be the input and output sensors being bad and not reading properly, but you would see that in multiple gears

second could be a failed solenoid for the 3rd gear band/clutch (I can't remember if 3 is a clutch or band) that is causing the gear to slip

Third could be a worn band/clutch for 3rd gear.

The frist two dont' require the transmission to come out, the third does. I do believe that people who know can rebuild these, but a good low-mileage FA57 is probably a better bet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In correct gear ratio can be a bunch of things....

first would be the input and output sensors being bad and not reading properly, but you would see that in multiple gears

second could be a failed solenoid for the 3rd gear band/clutch (I can't remember if 3 is a clutch or band) that is causing the gear to slip

Third could be a worn band/clutch for 3rd gear.

The frist two dont' require the transmission to come out, the third does. I do believe that people who know can rebuild these, but a good low-mileage FA57 is probably a better bet.
Ok great, thanks! I've been looking up Trans shops and used Trans online but I haven't found too many retailers for them. I'd there a good place to look for em?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts