SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody i wonder if i can pick the collectives brain of the forum.
I have just got a 2003 9-5 aero 2.3 hot auto, the problem i have is that the gear lever selects the correct gears P,R,N,D m,1 and everything engages and runs fine even the flappy paddle bit ,the problem is that the display on the dash is 1 out, in that when in park nothing when in reverse the park light is on when in neutral the R light is lit etc, and also when in manual mode there are no numbers displayed and the "M" and "1" lights dont light up at all.
I have read a few things and one says the selector switch on top of the gearbox (but i thought this would impact starting and selecting the correct gear also reverse lights and parking assist works fine) and another says the mui needed reprogramming,
I hope someone can help and thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
It's almost certainly the neutral safety switch (the switch on top of the transmission). That's what tells the indicator on the dashboard what gear the transmission is in. The NSS is supposed to be aligned with a special tool when it's installed so that it reads correctly. If you're not having starting or any other problems, it's probably just misaligned. You can try loosening the bolts on the NSS and see if you can rotate it enough in either direction to get the indicator to match up with the gearshift, or it may be just be time for a new NSS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's almost certainly the neutral safety switch (the switch on top of the transmission). That's what tells the indicator on the dashboard what gear the transmission is in. The NSS is supposed to be aligned with a special tool when it's installed so that it reads correctly. If you're not having starting or any other problems, it's probably just misaligned. You can try loosening the bolts on the NSS and see if you can rotate it enough in either direction to get the indicator to match up with the gearshift, or it may be just be time for a new NSS.

Hi Jeremy thanks for the reply, ive seen the adjustment in the W.I.S. i think i will check it tomorrow and if its ok i think ill just order another one, the only thing putting me off idea of it being the switch was the fact it starts and even the manual bit works i didnt think it would if it was misaligned, but what you are saying about it being slightly off makes sense, i dare say it has bigger terminals inside for starting etc than it would for just indication, so i will have a look at the switch and go from there thanks again for your help much appreciated

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update got another NSS fitted set up still exactly the same no different to the old one, so its not that i have had it on my delphi diagnostic and have been on a page that shows the selector switch in relation to what it should be reading and its reading correctly including the flappy paddle part so im thinking it must be something in the MUI dash cluster, has anyone got any ideas and also any idea as to what is involved changing the clocks Thanks Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Yes i checked them on a friends tech 2 last week and all checked out and today after fitting the switch checked on my delphi in one of the test menus and it should me moving the lever and it reporting the correct position to the ecu including changing gear with the steering wheel controls but the display was still one out from park to neutral then D,M and L the display just lights up the N position, so im thinking instrument cluster fault as it works on a bus system as far as i can tell and it is sending as its showing P,R and N all be it in the wrong place but it is communicating never the less, if you understand what i mean lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys thanks for the replies Mimmi, i dont know how to reprogram it i do have a friend with a tech2 though, have you any idea how i would go about it?
9-5r, thaistatos is right they are leds and some do illuminate but in the wrong order lol, i have just orderd a replacement cluster as it wasnt to expensive and pretty easy to swap although it will need programming to the car, as far as i know i can plug it in and check the lights work, the only other thing in the system is the auto box ecu but i think that is ok,

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Body-> MIU-> program-> spare parts programming.
After that you might have to reprogram IMMO code in TWICE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Body-> MIU-> program-> spare parts programming.
After that you might have to reprogram IMMO code in TWICE.
Ok thanks Mimmi i may see if i can get hold of my mates Tech 2 and have a go jusrt got to get my head around tech2 and read up on immo programming

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Mimmi, i think ive found out the problem i think you are right about reprogramming i have jst stumbled on an old thread where someone had exactly the same prolem as me amongst others and it was just a case of reprogramming the MIU i will keep posted but thanks for the steer in the right direction

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the problem is sorted i have reprogrammed the MIU in tech 2 and it works perfectly now it gives you many options to select one of which is "sentronic" i selected that and hey presto it all works now so thanks everybody for your input in helping to sort this problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts