SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my son's 9-3 last year and unfortunately it has sat for the majority of that time. Just before the 4th of July I had to move it and with a jump, did just that and took it for a spin around the block. Other than a dead battery, there were no issues, other than message saying alternator was compromised??

Move forward 3 weeks and I put car on the road. Put a new battery in and anticipated replacing the alternator because I got that weird error message that alternator was bad?? I can get the car to turn over strongly but seems like no gas?? Is this part of the Anti Theft system? My son said he had issues with that before. If memory serves, I thought the fuel pump would engage when the ignition was turned "On" but not started. I do not hear the pump starting at that point right now.

I did try a different key that was not programmed and it would not even turn in the ignition, which should eliminate part of the theft system, correct?

I have a Craftsman code reader and it shows NO DTC's and said voltage was 10.5 Volts. The car would not even turn over at this point. I put a battery starter on and it raised the voltage to 15, at which the car would turn over but not start.

I love this car but am new to this whole Saab environment. Are these cars that quirky?

I can do the majority of my own repairs, so would it be worth while to invest in a Tech2 device? Would it actually help me at this point? I know it will reprogram keys and such but would it deactivate systems like the Anti Theft, if that is part of my issue here?

Any advise you folks can shed will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a Craftsman code reader and it shows NO DTC's and said voltage was 10.5 Volts. The car would not even turn over at this point. I put a battery starter on and it raised the voltage to 15, at which the car would turn over but not start....I can do the majority of my own repairs, so would it be worth while to invest in a Tech2 device.

The battery is likely toast, 10.5 sounds like at least 1 bad cell. When you get a new one, if your not using it for extended periods, disconnect the battery/keep it charged. Standing voltage should be 12.6v.
Dont use a voltage booster, can cause heaps problems. My first step would be to get it to turn over without the booster, then chase up the why no start. ( like any petrol car start with the basics fuel / air / spark ).
I have a chinese tech 2 that comes in very handy, I am not familiar with craftsman , but I doubt it can talk to the trionic properly.

Just realised year model, we are talking about a NG 9-3 2.0 petrol yes?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Might find the first time you start it after battery reconnection it will need to recognize the key. Put it in, wait 2 sec, take it out, put it in, you should hear steering lock disengage (For the children out there.. this is not a euphemism , i am talking about putting in the keys
)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Turn ignition ON, uncap fuel pressure port and press on the Schrader valve it should burst fuel strongly at least a couple of tea spoon size.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing but a tiny spritz of gas. Finished replacing alternator, battery and drive belt with all new. Now it turns over strongly but still no start. Like I said before, I do not hear the fuel pump turn on when ignition is turned on. I checked the fuse and it is OK. It was all OK just a month ago?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that relay located that relay bank under driver's side dash? Also which terminals need to be jumped?

·
Super Moderator
20,196 Posts
passenger side kickpanel.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
With ignition ON.
Check for
power at terminal 30.
Ground at terminal 87.
Then connect both of them, and u should hear the pump running.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, finally found the darn thing. There was 12 volts at terminal 30 but heard nothing when jumped it to terminal 87.. I am guessing fuel pump bad?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Does the whited out area seem to be where I would need to cut open to access the fuel pump? I am not seeing an access port to test for voltage and ground.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I know this is probably sacreligious but I am not dropping the tank on a 16 year old car. See nothing but trouble with that. Also, weighing cost of repairs. Unfortunately the car is not worth the repair, in a business sense. Sorry, just want to make sure I am in the right area and will make the cut as clean and repairable as humanly possible.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts