SaabCentral Forums banner

2003 9-3 turbo ARC A/C drops out when it gets wet?!?

568 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Rollaz 
#1 ·
So my daughter's 9-3 has dropped A/C 2x's... the first time was after car wash, the 2nd time was a rain storm...

So, the A/C just came back on it's own a week later the first time, we tried nothing... so we're in the waiting period again.... Any ideas at all where to start looking???

By dropped out, I mean that the compressor turns, and the fans blow but it's not cold... then after a week it started blowing cold again... we THINK it's a water issue...

On a side note, the coolant was completely empty today, no visible leaks... that's weird....

#2 ·
No leaks, No coolant in the resevoir? Do you have a blown head gasket? You might want to do a chemical block test to be sure. It uses fluid to sniff for the presence of exhaust gasses in the cooling system.

as far as your AC. It's possible the compressor belt slips when its wet. How does the belt look? You could be low on charge due to a leak. Mine leak from the service ports. I think its common for them to leak from the evaporator under the dash. If you add freon be sure to add dye.

#3 ·
No leaks, No coolant in the resevoir? Do you have a blown head gasket? You might want to do a chemical block test to be sure. It uses fluid to sniff for the presence of exhaust gasses in the cooling system.

as far as your AC. It's possible the compressor belt slips when its wet. How does the belt look? You could be low on charge due to a leak. Mine leak from the service ports. I think its common for them to leak from the evaporator under the dash. If you add freon be sure to add dye.
Ok, we'll add that to the list, thanks for the directions to look. Chemical block test, never heard of that...

the a/c didn't come back for a week, it was only wetted once during a car wash, so i doubt the belt stayed wet for a week but I'll look at the belt to see if it's loose or glazed smooth. The a/c is quite cold when it works, i'm pretty sure it's full of freon, but I'll have that checked as well.

#6 ·
Hmmm ... water outside the car ... many cars - not sure which year yours is - have a wire connector at the a/c compressor clutch.

I would start by finding this connection, then work my way anywhere it goes. I would pull any connection, then clean and reconnect the wires. The connection issue may not be obvious.

Has there been any work on it prior to the initial episode? Other than the A/C stopping working, are there any other interesting artifacts?

#7 ·
Another thought is the electric cooling fan - it may be part of the circuit, requiring it (or both) to be on when the compressor is engaged?

Just looked on my 2010 - the fans have a connection near the top - not sure about the compressor as I looks like some disassembly, or checking from below.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.