SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today was weird. Got up drove the car 80 miles
parked it then tried to restart it 10 minutes later
All i get is a click. All electrical is working.
No attempt to turn over

I pulled the key and tried 2 more times with the same issue.

Any further ideas on how i can trouble shoot this more before towing it to my mechanic or to the grave yard?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
How old is your battery? They can be finicky in these cars, you might have enough juice to run a few things but not enough to turn it over. It's a very common issue people have and a new battery usually solves it.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
sounds like a starter solenoid issue
It's funny (well, not really) how starter solenoid or relay issues are most often reported in the summer months when the weather is hot. I'm on three other non-SAAB forums and have seen a lot of recent posts about cars not starting, and the culprit being starter solenoids gone bad. Including my dad's Outback wagon, which had its starter solenoid replaced just 2 weeks ago !

Another possibility is the other end of the battery cables. Have a competent mech check out all parts of the electrical system. Your battery is likely fine being only 1-yr old.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's funny (well, not really) how starter solenoid or relay issues are most often reported in the summer months when the weather is hot. I'm on three other non-SAAB forums and have seen a lot of recent posts about cars not starting, and the culprit being starter solenoids gone bad. Including my dad's Outback wagon, which had its starter solenoid replaced just 2 weeks ago !

Another possibility is the other end of the battery cables. Have a competent mech check out all parts of the electrical system. Your battery is likely fine being only 1-yr old.
During the summer the most commonly replaced items are Fuel pumps, starters, batteries and alternators don't ask me why but it seems that's how it is here in texas, i've never had a fuel pump, starter, battery, or alternator go bad during the winter months

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
During the summer the most commonly replaced items are Fuel pumps, starters, batteries and alternators don't ask me why but it seems that's how it is here in texas, i've never had a fuel pump, starter, battery, or alternator go bad during the winter months

I've replaced both a Battery and Alternator in consecutive Winters on my Vector..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well tried jumping it and it just clicks
click sound comes from central part of engine about where i think the starter is

Also disconnected the battery and reconnected it that did nothing.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
That click should be the solenoid, and I doubt it's the alternator if it started previously and then went to nada. I therefor suggest it is the ignition switch module, which might need cleaning or replacement, assuming the battery is not the issue.

Try jumping/switching out the R8 relay to find out if the problem is in the cockpit or the engine bay.

ISM thread...

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204339

·
Registered
29 Posts
I second the battery. Can you try hooking up to another battery? I've had a bad battery before where I wasn't able to even jump it and everything else electrical in the car worked.

Not trying to jump i got a single click, when trying to jump it i got the click, click. Has to actually deal with the battery being able to handle the load. A battery tester or checking the voltage wouldn't be able to test this and would give a false positive.

Also, check the fluid levels in your cells and make sure all the leads are covered. A long shot but with a 80 mile summer trip, battery could have gotten warm enough to make the water boil out.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
If it was the ignition switch module, the solenoid would not click.... The Solenoid activates the starter so the ignition system is working. IMO It is either the Battery or the Starter itself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts