SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone had this problem? It seems after some driving, the clutch pedal just wouldn't fully return. You can pull it up all the way just fine, but the next time you hit it it will do the same thing again.

After parking the car for a while, the problem was gone the next time the car was driven - only to return after some driving.

My first thought is to flush the clutch fluid but I'm not seeing a reservoir. Someone told me that the brake fluid reservoir doubles as a clutch fluid reservoir? Is this true?

Regardless, is there a write-up out there on flushing the clutch fluid? Is it any different from any other hydraulic clutch setup? I have done this on my Camaro and my Corvette and it's really simple (just like bleeding the brakes). Or, do you have to pressure/vacuum bleed the system? Where is the bleeder valve?

Finally, if this fails, I will probably replace the master/slave, any write-ups on that?

Thanks in advance,
Dope

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
michaLcoughliN said:
Cable clutch possibly. lol
No cable, it's hydraulic.

I'd check the pedal end first. Is the clutch pedal operation stiff? Is there mechanically interferring with the pedal assembly that is stopping it from returning? Check also that the pedal return spring is in place - these do have a habit of breaking.

Next stop would be the master cylinder. I can see no reason for it requiring flushing out unless something has recently been disturbed.

Slave cylinder is integral with the release (throwout) bearing so that's a gearbox out job:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JBob said:
No cable, it's hydraulic.

I'd check the pedal end first. Is the clutch pedal operation stiff? Is there mechanically interferring with the pedal assembly that is stopping it from returning? Check also that the pedal return spring is in place - these do have a habit of breaking.

Next stop would be the master cylinder. I can see no reason for it requiring flushing out unless something has recently been disturbed.

Slave cylinder is integral with the release (throwout) bearing so that's a gearbox out job:eek:
Doesn't appear to be any problem at the pedal end. Nothing has really changed regarding the operation or effort of the clutch pedal, it just doesn't fully return after a bit of driving. This is telling me that something is probably heating up and causing the problem. Perhaps the clutch is slipping and is heating up the fluid and causing it to boil? Perhaps the clutch fluid is contaminated?

Can you confirm that the brake fluid reservoir is used by the clutch hydraulics too? I figured a quick flush would be the easiest thing to try.

I'm mainly hoping there are some instructions or write-ups out there for this kind of stuff. I'm not afraid of DIY work, I'm a bit of a muscle/go-fast car enthusiast and have done a lot of work on my own. I've even swapped out a clutch/tranny on my C5 Corvette on jackstands. It requires removing the entire drivetrain from the engine back. Fun! :)

Thanks,
Dope

·
Super Moderator
20,429 Posts
Dope said:
Can you confirm that the brake fluid reservoir is used by the clutch hydraulics too?
Also from the WIS:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Diggs. Looks like it does have to be pressure bled. I've got a Motive pressure bleeder around here somewhere...

Dope

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Search for the posts on the damaged return spring. This has happened several times. In addition to the clutch fork spring, there is also a pedal return assist spring. It resides in a cream or white plastic housing which is known to crack. A few people found the part laying on their floor mat.

Don't go messin' with fluid bleeds until you check this out!
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111474&highlight=clutch+spring

1 - 8 of 8 Posts