SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just joined and wanted to say hello, I just picked up my 2003 9-3 Linear 2.0t (175bhp)and wanted to ask a couple of questions if I may

How many lbs of boost am I seeing stock?
What is the max lbs of boost that the 2.0t can handle
What is the best way to achieve a few more lbs of boost?

I think thats it for starters..

thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Archangel6 said:
Welcome to Saabcentral.

The ratings for the turbos are:
2.0t - Garrett turbo - 0.60 bar
2.0T - Mitsubishi TD04 - 0.85 bar

You'll have to search older threads for discussions on the max boost levels the engines can handle.

As far as increasing boost, we are all in a bit of a bind here as the engine management system (trionic 8) maintains tight control over many parameters, and will either defeat many conventional mods, or throw error codes. For this reason most significant modifications need to be accompanied by ECM reprogramming. Not probably what you want to hear, I know.

The favorite "first step" here is the BSR PPC Stage I. This is basically a reprogramming with no bolt-on parts at all. It will boost performance of the 2.0t to near-Aero levels-- 207 HP, I think.

The BSR products are always actively discussed here. Lately, blow-off valves and bypass valves are also a hot topic. These valves have problems, so read the posts before you spend any money.

Good luck. And remember to post only performance-related questions here. Almost everything else belongs in the 9-3 workshop, which you should definitely check out if you haven't already!

Enjoy your new 9-3!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Archangel6 said:
Hey all, I just joined and wanted to say hello, I just picked up my 2003 9-3 Linear 2.0t (175bhp)and wanted to ask a couple of questions if I may

I think thats it for starters..

thanks.
Check out Garrett's web site. They say their turbos can take much more. They even make the challenge to customers to do so.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Saba said:
Check out Garrett's web site. They say their turbos can take much more. They even make the challenge to customers to do so.
I bet GM is thrilled about this challenge :eek:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guy's...I have a lot of research to do , esp with this stereo, infotainment system, and upgrading the system.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Archangel6 said:
I wonder how the engine management system would react if I threw a 2.0T, T3/T4 Hybrid, or a T4 on it....
Are these Garrett turbos?

This question has been answered before. If you change the turbo, T8 will make it produce boost at the same levels as the stock one you removed. This is easily done via the BCS (boost control solenoid). The feedback is from the manifold pressure sensor. When the desired pressure is achieved, the ECM starts opening the wastegate.

If you change the turbo, the only thing you might change is spool time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All of them are Garrett excl the 2.0T stocker....

I'm new to forced induction, so prepare for a bunch of "hey stupid search for it" type questions....I can build 10 & 11 sec naturally aspirated motors all day long....but throw this ECM /BCV...blah at me and I'm lost....

Thanks for bearing with me

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ctrlz said:
Welcome to Saabcentral.

The ratings for the turbos are:
2.0t - Garrett turbo - 0.60 bar
2.0T - Mitsubishi TD04 - 0.85 bar
Turbo Boost
One Bar equals 14.7 psi.

Ok, so I'm at 7/7.5lbs stock.....

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
mbodo said:
I'd hardly call that a "challenge" .. more of a case of the marketing guy getting a little too happy one afternoon ;)
true, but its still in their official documentation. Where would they stand if someone did do what they suggest and blew his turbo?

·
Registered
43 Posts
ctrlz said:
Are these Garrett turbos?

This question has been answered before. If you change the turbo, T8 will make it produce boost at the same levels as the stock one you removed. This is easily done via the BCS (boost control solenoid). The feedback is from the manifold pressure sensor. When the desired pressure is achieved, the ECM starts opening the wastegate.

If you change the turbo, the only thing you might change is spool time.
Hmm, hypotectically. what happens if u r running a GT 2O with stage 1/hirsh /BSR and you swop it for say, a TDO4.

The 1 bar upgrade program only works for the stock GT 20 turbo or would the TD04 achieve 1 bar too albeit at different spool/rpm levels.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts