SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post :cheesy: Ello everyone, I drive a 2003 9-3 Linear

Okay.. so I went to Home Depot and everything was fine. I came back out, hopped in and went to start the lady.. Wont start.. Rolls over like it should, but wouldnt start.

Tried a few times over 10 or so minutes and finally it starts, but I get the messages "Gearbox Malfunction, Limited Performace" and something about the Stability Control, but Ive got that one at random before..

Anyways. Car is started now, I put it in drive.. No power. It'll move forward, but at the pace of an overweight turtle, though it had full power when in reverse..

I turn the car off and restart, just to see if itll start again. Starts fine. Same messages pop up, except this time I have full power in D and R.... ??? wtf?

Drove home, slowly and cautiously, borrowed the uncles code reader and got the codes "po337" and "po725".

Anyone know what could be going on? I do love this car, but something is always defunct and its all so expensive!

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seems that you and Hashwood have a similar problem. Below is what I wrote to his question:

"It sounds as if your neutral safety switch is bad. The switch tells the ecu what gear the car is in. When the switch goes bad, the car can actually be in one gear and the ecu thinks it is in another. My bet is that the check engine light and transmission light (looks like a gear) come on when your NSS acts up. When this happens, the car goes into limp mode and performance is dialed back considerably.

I'm new at this, so perhaps others will chime in with their expertise."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im assuming since its on the transmission its not a DIY typa thing if youre not a car person. Ugh lol.

Thanks for the help, blackconv!

edit. I get what I think is the check engine light (small box with a flat things sticking off three sides) but none that look like a gear

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same issue but I replaced the throttle body and the cps but the car won't start am I missing something here? Like it's a great car but there's no dealer or mechanic around me that can fix it. I bought the cps sensor and they gave me the after market version idk if you guys know what it looks like but only half of the cps goes In idk what to do is that maybe another reason? I need help please

·
Registered
438 Posts
When my Neutral Safety Switch went bad on my car, the both the CEL (P0725) and Transmission light came on. There are many posts here on how to replace the NSS. In theory, it's a very simple replacement - unbolt and replace. However, due to its location, under the battery tray, it is damn near impossible to get to. It is something you can certainly do, but just be sure to have some stubby wrenches and much patience to get to it.

The other code you mentioned looks like the crankshaft position sensor. I haven't had the pleasure to replace this one, but I've read it is a total pain in the rear also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
But if it's the nss then I heard you can place it in N and start the car? I tried that and it didn't work I also replaced the throttle body and then I found out I need a reset code cause I changed that part ? Do you know the reset code by any chance.

And the cps is so easy to get to all you have to do is unscrew the 2 tork bolts for the starter and the cps should be right in front of you

·
Registered
438 Posts
From what I've read, sometimes the NSS will cause a no start situation. That is why others have bypassed the NSS. Look up NSS bypass and try that and see if the car will start. If so, then you know its the NSS.
For my NSS problem, the car started, but was stuck in limp mode and the dash wouldn't show me what gear I was in.

·
Registered
438 Posts
There's a limp mode with the throttle body where it can be reset by moving a spring. There's a youtube video on how to reset it. There's also a transmission limp mode that makes the tranny stay in 3rd gear. Your car is in tranny limp mode if the transmission fault light is on. When my NSS was broken, my tranny light was on and I was stuck in 3rd gear. This all went away after I switched out my NSS.

·
Registered
18,072 Posts
Like Remo said... search You Tube for "Saab" and "limp mode" and you will find out how to reset the TB. The code should go away on it's own after a few miles if you cured the problem.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
If you have a 2003 convertible you're in the right forum. If you have a 2003 sedan, you need to post this in the 9-3SS forum. But in any event, a Linear is a 9-3SS car... Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts