SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm new to the community and this is my first post. I recently bought a 2003 9-3 2.0 vin s and love the car. Bought it not running for cheap knowing I would need to replace the engine due to not having compression. I got 65,45,40,70. Previous owner said it needed a head gasket. I did a leak down test and now know it is best to just replace the engine since it is leaking through gasket and rings. My question is does any of you have a step by step link or tutorial on how to remove engine. I know it must be taken out with tranny through bottom as it seems easier. I already got a replacement that has good compression and warranty. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
107 Posts
My question is does any of you have a step by step link or tutorial on how to remove engine. I know it must be taken out with tranny through bottom as it seems easier. I already got a replacement that has good compression and warranty. Thanks in advance
Took mine out through the top with a hoist. I had never done anything other than some smaller maintenance, change oil, brakes.. As long as you pay close attention to everything that comes out, and exactly how it goes back in, it's pretty straight forward (although time consuming).

The engine mounts caused the only problems for me. The engine needed to come out and go in at an angle to fit underneath the mount on the transmission. This was due to me taking it out through the top, as the WIS showed a complicated assortment of tools and procedures to drop from the bottom, and realign it when it went back in.

Do the water pump, gasktes gaskets and more gaskets, and anything else you can think of before it goes in. Open up the timing cover and make sure no guides are missing, inspecting everything twice. Pictures are good. If you want to pick my brain, I'm open. Otherwise good luck..

Maybe you could create the DIY (if you have the patience) :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you have to drop the transmision first? Or were you able to pull the whole thing out through the top?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts