SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone

This is my first car and I live in Tampa FL. I bought this car from a local dealer 4 days ago and I made a huge research before I bought it, showed it to mechanics and everything was perfect.
Today, the engine light came up. I went to Autozone for defining the problem, u know when they connect their device to see whats wrong, everything was ok , but she printed out 2 different possibilities, she said she is not sure.
Trouble shooting 1 P0455
VAP large leak detected in the EVAP system
possible cause
1 Loose or missing fuel cap
2 EVAP canister broke, hose cracked or not connected
3 Vacuum leak at the engine
4 Purge or vent solenoid
Trouble shooting 2 P0137
Oxygen sensor bank sensor
possible causes
1 Oxygen sensor defective
2 Fuel system running very rich or lean check ( I used 93 for the first tank, last nite I switched to 89 for half of the tank to try)
3 Engine misfire condition repair
4 Fuel pressure very high or low fuel pump

It runs silent and smooth right now, the problem is I spent most of my money for buying this car and I cannot afford a major repair, I hope it is a minor problem, I am gonna see a saab service soon but I wanted to see ur opinions first, I read the previous posts, its just I am short in cash and should I repair this asap or can it wait for few weeks? I appreciate every comment,
Thank You

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I would say check all of your vacuum connections, and maybe just replace them all (I did all mine for less than $20) A vacuum leak can cause both of those conditions. There is also a hose right by the oil dip stick that has a 90 degree bend in it which is notorious for cracking, change that one out as well, and hope for the best. Even if it doesnt solve the problem, it never hurts to have all new vacuum lines.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
In case you can not find which 90 degree vacuum hose i was talking about, it can be found here.

Also you can see a couple of the vacuum lines replaced here with blue vacuum hose I purchased from genuinesaab.com. There are also more hoses under the black plastic engine cover that you should check/replace, also one coming off of the intake tubing from the front right side of the car. (ps dont worry about the red line with the word cut. I used this pic to help out on another problem someone was having)

And I would also crawl under neath and make sure the clamps going to your intercooler are nice and tight. Hope that helps a little, and solves your problem!

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
If the cap is loose, the evap system will not be able to create a small vacuum in the tank. The vacuum is used to draw gasoline vapors into the engine and burn them instead of letting them flow into the atmosphere. There a vacuum sensor on the tank that monitors this and its inability to create any vacuum will trigger a Large Leak code. Just remember that the trouble is monitored at the fuel tank, but problems anywhere between the tank and throttle body on the engine can cause that particular check engine light code... Ron

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Thank you! How can I understand if it is loose fuel cap though? it looks tight but sensor doesnt think so ?
Call around and see if any of your local parts stores will pressure check the cap for you. If not you may have to go to a shop and pay someone to do it, but most parts stores around me will do this for free.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I found one of the hoses were not connected at all to each other, right behind the engine, little under of it, it has a small black cap on it, I put silicon and waited to dry, but the engine light is still on, maybe that was the problem maybe not, I dont know, I guess I will have to go to dealer because that was the only issue I found all day with my uncle ( he has 20 years of mechanic experience) . He said everything else looks fine and engine runs smooth

·
Super Moderator
9,059 Posts
take a photo of pipes..

if it's where i think you on about the heat from the turbo will soon see that silcone off.

you need to replace.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried to post a picture but apparently Admins need to approve it first, anyway I went to the service today, they checked it and it was the fuel cap, he reseted the light but he said if it comes up again, it is the fuel cap, get a new one, other than that I guess if it was the hose we fixed it, I hope it doesnt come up for any other reason :(

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I tried to post a picture but apparently Admins need to approve it first, anyway I went to the service today, they checked it and it was the fuel cap, he reseted the light but he said if it comes up again, it is the fuel cap, get a new one, other than that I guess if it was the hose we fixed it, I hope it doesnt come up for any other reason :(
Approved

·
Registered
58 Posts
large evap leak

Ive had the same problem on my 2003 9-3. Replaced fuel cap twice, replaced that cracked vacuum tube near the dipstick. Have gotten a variety of codes. The problem manifests itself as random rough idle to the point of stalling, usually, but not always after Ive gotten gas. One of the codes was crankshaft position sensor. Only got this code once, but because theyre pretty cheap, I got one-- made in some democratic country (not the "People's" Republic of China) through rockauto.com for $21. Had a mechanic friend put install it and I havent had the problem since.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My mechanic friend and my mechanic uncle both said Evap problems are almost impossible to find and since they dont cause any problems in the engine they said I can ignore it, everytime I turn off the light with a odometer, it comes up in 2 days, I couldnt understand what did u exactly order, can you be more specific please? Thank you for your help

·
Registered
58 Posts
My mechanic friend and my mechanic uncle both said Evap problems are almost impossible to find and since they dont cause any problems in the engine they said I can ignore it, everytime I turn off the light with a odometer, it comes up in 2 days, I couldnt understand what did u exactly order, can you be more specific please? Thank you for your help
it's an hour of labor to take out the starter to get to the CPS... Related Parts

from rockauto.com
2003 SAAB 9-3 2.0L L4 Turbocharged : Ignition : Crankshaft Position Sensor Wiki Price
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PC548 {#12789959} Intermotor
ARC; Vector; Linear

its $24 now

I wouldnt get the Beck/Arnley...a lot of their stuff is made in China, now

·
Registered
58 Posts
evap leak

and considering that evap leaks put gas vapor out into the atmosphere, that might be dangerous for you personally and bad for everyone's air quality--though I dont see how a crankshaft pos sensor could affect that--but apparently it did--I dont smell fumes anymore, the car doesnt shudder anymore, and the idle seems a bit smoother

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
You turn off the CEL with an odometer????

Gas caps are about 15 bucks online. It's a Known issues and the warranty was extended to 10 years from the in service date. Saabstory pointed out the weak link in the vacuum system.... Never heard of that code with a CPS though.... my money says it was a loose gas cap... but then I lose a lot of bets....

·
Registered
58 Posts
gas cap is first thing you should do. some say put a bead of Vaseline around the circumference of the neck of the cap. Havent tried it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I changed the fuel cap already, I checked every vacuum pipe, nothing visible that I can define wrong, thats why they say EVAP, and they also say it is really hard to find where the leak is, so one more time what am I exactly ordering ? Sorry it is my finals week, I am little bit busy and my mind is full of information about lot of projects, I appreciate your thoughts and helps.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would say check all of your vacuum connections, and maybe just replace them all (I did all mine for less than $20) A vacuum leak can cause both of those conditions. There is also a hose right by the oil dip stick that has a 90 degree bend in it which is notorious for cracking, change that one out as well, and hope for the best. Even if it doesnt solve the problem, it never hurts to have all new vacuum lines.
Where can I find that small 90° bend section of hose, can I just replace with regular vac line? Mine is cracked all to ****....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts