SaabCentral Forums banner

2003-2012 SAAB 9-3 Sports Sedan Rear Trunk/Bootlid Spoiler Guide

60K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  SAABalingus 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a near comprehensive spoiler list for 2003-2012 9-3 Sedan only. I put this together to clear up confusion and multiple threads about the same thing. I'm only including product links for the hard to find spoilers, the rest should be easy to find with a Google search of the part numbers. I'm doing this so you can all find the best current prices on each.

My opinions here are not meant to undermine the choice of anyone on this board with any of the below spoilers installed on their car! Again, everyone is entitled to their own sense of style and opinion and this is purely informative. Here is a list:

1. This factory rear bridge spoiler is available, even in copy-cat form. Several members have installed this, even on their '03-07 9-3s. I actually bought one and test fitted it and decided I didn't like it. Fits '03-12. Part number 32025845:

2. This one is the factory accessory spoiler that was made available for '03-'07 models but still fits '08 and up. For reference, the trunk (metal body component) on the 9-3 is the same from '03 all the way up to '12. Some have installed this one, but I wasn't a fan of it. Part number 12786790:

See less See more
#2 ·
Continued

3. Next, Realcar has their giant wing spoiler as seen on the new 9-3 TXR. Awesome looking part, but I think it really only belongs on a 9-3 that's lowered, has bigger wheels, and in this case, has 800+ bhp! Side note: this spoiler is temporarily out of stock (as of June 2012) due to a switching of suppliers. Part number SA932500999. This one fits '03-12, product link below:

http://shop..se/en/prod/9-3-03/car-body-external/wings/199300.html

On a '03-07 (a member's car):

#3 ·
Continued

4. Let's not forget the rear Hirsch spoiler. Expensive and a bit over the top in my opinion. Almost bought one, but it hangs too far over the rear bumper in my opinion. Still very good looking though. Fits '08 and up, part number 859003500:

5. Turbo-X rear spoiler. Awesome lip spoiler that accomodates lower rear badge placement. Hard to find, unsure of production/availability. Last time I checked in 2010 it was $545 from a dealer. Fits '08-11 (would look weird on 2012 9-3 Griffins due to rear fascia change, and again, there are no 2012 9-3's in the U.S.). Part number 12779200:

From another member's car:

Also accommodates rear badging:

#4 · (Edited)
Continued

6. Finally, the coveted rear lip spoiler. I think this one is the best looking and most subtle. The problem is, the rear SAAB emblem on '03-'07 was higher up on the trunk lid, so it naturally has a cutout to surround the emblem. This has been discussed here on the boards. When I purchased my car from the dealer, I actually ordered one and had it painted. When they test fitted it, I pointed out the awkward cutout (emblem is lower on '08-12) where there didn't need to be one. They apologized and returned the spoiler for me. A few people have fitted this spoiler to their '08 and up 9-3 anyway and just dealt with the cutout. I think it would be ok on a dark car like black, but you'd really be able to see it on a lighter color. Also available on eBay. Here is the one from '03-07, part number 12805380:

Cutout placement can be clearly seen here:

Now, for fitment of this lip spoiler to an '08 and up without the cutout, you'd need to have a body shop sand it down, fill the cutout with body filler, sand again, prep, prime, and paint. That gets expensive.

There are also carbon-fiber variations out there (Maptun has one).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Solution for 2008 and up: A rear lip spoiler from a 2012 SAAB 9-3 Griffin. Yes, it exists, and yes, it fits 2008 and up! As you can see in these pictures, the Griffin (which was only produced for European markets and never made it to North America) saw the return of the rear lip spoiler without the emblem cutout:

The only way to get one (as of June 2012) is to order from ANA, Sweden's (and the world's) largest SAAB dealership. Took me several months to figure out the part number and get a hold of someone there. With Saab Parts North America in the works, maybe it will be available soon here in the U.S. But if you want one now, brush up on your Swedish and send ANA an email. Part number 12822669. Product link here at ANA (not sure how long this will last since it's in their "Outlet" category):

http://begdelar.anabil.se/bakspoiler-9-3-griffin-sedan/327-0

That about covers it. If anyone wants to add info here, please do, and happy SAABing!

#8 ·
I'm gonna say none of them do, I would say they're all cosmetic. I'm sure they were wind tunnel tested, in fact Hirsch has pictures of their products in the wind tunnel with smoke testing. I'm sure they have some sort of effect at above 100 mph, but that speed isn't realistic, even in Europe (unless you have it at a road track maybe?).

#12 ·
Thanks Swedespeed! I have been trying for over 9 mnths to source a TX rear spoiler - no luck. Agree with your comments about the Hirsch one being a tad too large. Will try to get my sister in-law in Finaland to order the Griffen one for me. 1200Kr = $170. If I can get for $250 delivered I will be happy!

#13 ·
Question for you guys. My 2010 Aero comes in on Friday. I am going to order the ebay spoiler, but I want to fill in the cutout. What should be used to fill it in? What is the spoiler made from? I have a friend who does great fiberglass work, so I can ask him to help me, or would I use a body filler? I never used the stuff, so this will be a learning experience. Once i'm done, i'm going to have a body shop paint it.

#15 ·
2006 saab 9-3 2.0T MT

I know this is a relatively old post, but I am going to try for a response.

the first spoiler the 08+ rear pedestal spoiler. does it indeed fit an 03-12 9-3 model like say my 2006 saab 9-3 2.0T? have been looking for an answer and cant seem to find one.. also if anyone has pictures of one installed on the pre 08 face lift models 03-07 ng9-3 it would be appreciated google found some photos that linked here but they didnt show up so I seached the forum for the members car but cant seem to find it. it was a gold aero i think from the small thumbnails I saw.

any help is appreciated. thank you :confused:

#16 ·
I know this is a relatively old post, but I am going to try for a response.

the first spoiler the 08+ rear pedestal spoiler. does it indeed fit an 03-12 9-3 model like say my 2006 saab 9-3 2.0T? have been looking for an answer and cant seem to find one.. also if anyone has pictures of one installed on the pre 08 face lift models 03-07 ng9-3 it would be appreciated google found some photos that linked here but they didnt show up so I seached the forum for the members car but cant seem to find it. it was a gold aero i think from the small thumbnails I saw.

any help is appreciated. thank you :confused:
Yes, the OEM SAAB wing spoiler will fit all years, the trunk lid didn't change in '08.

#25 ·
Copies of rare 2008+ Hirsch/Griffin body accessories!!

This is pretty huge for those looking especially for the 9-3 Griffin (2012 MY) rear spoiler, which doesn't have the cutout. I bought mine from Sweden a few years ago (OEM) but paid more than I care to admit. Now it, along with other goodies, can be had for much cheaper!! They even have a copy of the Turbo-X spoiler, which isn't even made anymore and fits all 9-3s 2008+.

http://tunstyle.eu/en/234-9-3

#32 ·
Underneath your Saab badge there are 2 holes where the badge mounts. If you remove the badge you would need to fill in the indentation and the 2 holes and prep and paint. Lots of work just to swap out a spoiler (which looks fine to me).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.