SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would the xenon headlights from a 2002+ 9-5 fit onto a 2001 9-5 aero (pre-face lift)?? would it be an easy fit? this is if it is even possible. Has it been done before, if so does anyone have pictures?

·
Registered
480 Posts
You would need the 2002+ front bar to go with it. Also there would be some electrics to go with it, not sure if you could just disconnect the autolevelling system.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I see 2 issues here:

1. The wipers would have to go (would scratch plastic) also the shape is wrong. so as someone else noted you need a 02+ bumper and there are some things that need changed to get that to fit.

2. The leveling system. This system is actually integral to the lamp. It does not move the headlight itself but moves the inside carriage. If there is no signal from the sensors then it will most likely default to the low position which will not get you much light where you need it. You could likely de-power it but I am not sure if there is any lamp power cutout relay or something (doubt that last).

3. Ok, I lied and said 2 but there are more...The power plug is different for the xenon. The plug provides power to: Ballast for HID bulb, halogen (inside H7) bulb - used for flashing brights when DRL fuse removed, city light, High beam solenoid, Leveling motor. These are not just things you can tap into a 12v line from the battery as they are controlled by relays and sensors.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Also do the pop out washers for the xenons need a different pump to the earlier models? I put 4200k HID's in my old lights(2000) and the beam pattern is quite acceptable, and the brightness and colour is excellent. There is very little glare for other users (unlike japanese retrofits) maybe it has something to do with the shields built into the lights. This maybe quite different in LHD cars however. Unless you can find a 2002+ model wreck with the front intact I would think this would be very expensive and difficuilt. That being said I would love to upgrade mine to 2004 spec.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts