SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2002 saab 9-5 aero that let me stranded on hill at red light 2 weeks ago;
fuel pressure on gage 44 psi that dropped to 20 with engine rev up to 2-3k rpm;
replaced FPR and fuel pressure stabilized at 44 psi;
now it turned off again on same hill at red light but did not strand me there for engine started right up and got home ok;
How do I check for definitive what my problem is anyway before just changing more parts.
thanks

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
How do I check for definitive what my problem is anyway before just changing more parts.
thanks
The quickest and easiest way is to get a TECH2 scan, it will point you to the problem.

In the mantime I would swap out the DIC with a known good one, borrow one if you don't have a spare.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the dic i have in my car is fairly new and a saab original part;
since i already had a fuel issue i guess i'll pursue that first;
I've also noticed the fuel gauge is not reading properly;
so maybe a fuel pump issue;
I've read somewhere that fuel pressure for fuel injected cars is
closer to 58 psi with key on engine off;
For the Saab 95 aero is 58 psi the factory recommended pressure?
With a fuel gauge how to better diagnose a fuel pump issue for the Saab?
By the way I don't ha Tech 2 and don't plan to use one.
thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
Have a 2002 saab 9-5 aero that let me stranded on hill at red light 2 weeks ago;
fuel pressure on gage 44 psi that dropped to 20 with engine rev up to 2-3k rpm;
replaced FPR and fuel pressure stabilized at 44 psi;
now it turned off again on same hill at red light but did not strand me there for engine started right up and got home ok;
thanks
My old thread might be helpful to you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My old thread might be helpful to you.

Well finally discovered the problem and must say the electrical issue turned out to be correct; the cable connecting to the Direct Ignition Control Unit was unstable due to broken red locking tab;
it seemed OK at first glance but loose on close inspection; tied locking tab tightly with electrical tape going around it and problem solved; no more sudden power off as if turning key off.
That was really the simplest fix that I have done to my 2002 Saab 95 Aero. I couldn't believe it, but thanks.!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well finally discovered the problem and must say the electrical issue turned out to be correct; the cable connecting to the Direct Ignition Control Unit was unstable due to broken red locking tab;
it seemed OK at first glance but loose on close inspection; tied locking tab tightly with electrical tape going around it and problem solved; no more sudden power off as if turning key off.
That was really the simplest fix that I have done to my 2002 Saab 95 Aero. I couldn't believe it, but thanks.!!
Ha! How about that. Great stuff. I wish my problem was that simple!

I've just pressed mine in tightly and all seems okay. But if I ever have an issue, I'll tape it up again with electrical tape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts