SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble with the oil pan plug leaking. It has been in the shop 4 times and they have replaced the plug twice and the gasket twice and it still leaks. Does anyone have any suggestions other that replacing the oil pan.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I would really encourage you to find the actual problem. There is nothing special about a drain plug... a new one, properly installed, won't leak. If there are still leaks from that area, it means something is damaged. A cracked pan, stripped threads, leaky oil pan seal, etc. IMHO it would really be worth your while to find out what it is. Somewhat related, I would be really suspicious of a shop that thinks multiple drain plug replacement is gonna fix anything. To me, that seems a bit amateurish.

·
Registered
647 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

D
dcfrisbie
Registered

Joined Dec 12, 2013
13 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 4 hours ago
  • New
I am having trouble with the oil pan plug leaking. It has been in the shop 4 times and they have replaced the plug twice and the gasket twice and it still leaks. Does anyone have any suggestions other that replacing the oil pan.

Bookmark

Like jvanabra said, it's not the plug.
Somewhere above the plug is leaking and the drips are collecting at the lowest point - the drain plug, before dropping off.

You need to do a serious degrease then check for leaks on the clean, dry engine.
I hope it's not the rear main seal but if it is, Lucas Main Seal Stop Leak works well.
There's no substitute for replacing the seal though.

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
Typically local Schwarzenegger tightened oil drain plug with 3m bar extender. Oil pan cracked.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
TBH that's my guess as well. Radial cracks in the drain plug hole. If I was a betting man, I would bet the shop that thinks replacing the plug multiple times will fix a leak is the same shop that strong-armed the plug in the first place. I've ended up with multiple cars (Volvo, Chrysler, Audi, Saab) where that's happened.

I will mention that I recently fixed a friend's Ford Fiesta, where the source of the leak was actually a tiny crack near the drain plug that was probably caused by bottoming out... it gave every appearance of a drain plug leak but after I cleaned it up thoroughly the source was clear. The good news for her was that replacing the pan cost $62 and maybe 90 minutes of my time.

The Saab is a bit more complicated, though thankfully not obscenely so. Fixing that Audi... oof. What a pain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts