SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2002 93 SE conv. and had the fuel pump changed 3 months ago ($1200) at the dealer. The dealer called and said they broke a pipe or hose and called back an hour later to tell me it was fixed. When I picked the car up they said it would not affect performance so I took the car. The car runs fine, however when I am on the gas (normal driving) and cluth in to change gear, the engine surges up about 500 RPM and when I take my foot of the gas it does not compress. when I take my foot of the gas, the car behaves more like an outomatic than a standard. The only mod on the engine is a K&N filter in the saab box. The car was running perfect prior to this The dealer dosen't remember what broke and wants to take everything apart again. I don't trust them as I have had a few bad experiences with them. The engine has 119 thousand miles. Please help:confused:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak, check all your hoses for cracks...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you, I will check the hoses. Could it be the bleeder hose on the pump, or a hose in the engine. Appreciate the feedback so quickly

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
The pump is electric and produces the same pressure no matter what the engine rpm is. As long as you don't smell gas, and the car doesn't miss at high rpms, the pump is fine. If the dealer only changed the fuel pump, they shouldn't have been messing with anything under the hood. And I agree, look for cracked vacuum hoses... Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ron, thank you, I will check every hose in the bay

I took a quick look around and found a line that was not connected, but so far no impact. Will keep looking

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Since your model has the electrically controlled throttle body (unlike the earlier NG900), you may want to do a little research on that.

Besides the hoses which need replacing sooner or later on all models, there are some issues with a built in throttle plate position sensor on the 9-3, which is different from the one on the older cars. If the position sensor is flaky, throttle control will be too, and you you might well get a surge under certain conditions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thaanks for the info

Can I replace the hoses with standard sylicone hoses or do I have to use special Saab hoses. This is my third Saab but the first I am attempting to really get to understand.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Can I replace the hoses with standard sylicone hoses or do I have to use special Saab hoses. This is my third Saab but the first I am attempting to really get to understand.
Standard hoses are fine, silicone is better than rubber, but either one will work. Unfortunately I don't know how many feet you need for your model, someone with a 9-3 will have to chime in. On the NG900 turbo, just under 6 ft total for all the vacuum lines. Here's one vendor: Hose Techniques

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
the only hose that is near the fuel tank that would cause a vac leak is the evap hose.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Removing the gas tank is a big job, helps to have a lift, and a very good reason..
I'd try using the vacuum pump with a gauge.
The EVAP system vacuum hose, IIRC, just runs from the inlet manifold to the firewall mounted purge valve.
If , in the cars dim past, anyone ever dropped the tank, there is a possibility that a vent hose could be disconnected, or smashed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

The tank was dropped to changethe fuel pump. The dealer told me that they broke a hose or line, however called me back later to tell me it was fixed and it would not affect performance. This problem has existed from the moment the dealer changed the fuel pump.
Thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The tank need not be dropped to do a FP....but...
Now you are stuck doing the repairs...:nono;
Back to this dealer?
NO, waste not the time.
For now,stick to the engine comp, which is easier to diagnosis and repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks

This dealer has been nothing but trouble. I am ready to go back to my old dealer in Vermont. I will start with the engine bay and if it dosen't work, then I will go to Vermont and have it repaired there. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts