SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They're saying there's minor pitting on some of the exhaust valves, they say they've done Saab heads before and did a valve job and didn't have any issues. I've also read that these valves should not be ground due to being coated.

The head holds vacuum and is otherwise in good shape. If they do a complete valve job, resurface and change the stem seals it's $200, which is money I'd rather spend now and do it right, unless the grinding is going to destroy the valves.

Looking forward to your input. Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I know they are sodium filled exhaust valves, but that shouldnt affect the grinding process?

I had a head job done on my 02 aero, but i actually ended up using new, after market non sodium valves as a few of them were disintegrating.

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
I had some minor pitting on my 2001 Aero's exhaust valves, but after cleaning all of the carbon buildup off with a brass wire wheel and lapping the valves, the actual sealing surfaces looked very good. The engine runs beautifully, so I have no regrets.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had some minor pitting on my 2001 Aero's exhaust valves, but after cleaning all of the carbon buildup off with a brass wire wheel and lapping the valves, the actual sealing surfaces looked very good. The engine runs beautifully, so I have no regrets.

I did the same during my rebuild. It’s running great!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up having them lap the valves, they said they've done other Saabs and other cars with similar valves without issue. Well respected and established machine shop so I took their advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts