SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After sitting over the weekend my 2002 93 SE won't start. Syptoms are car cranks, but does not fire up, seems like it almost started once, did not want to try too long. I checked the CPS; the tachometer moved slightly when cranked and I got a resistance reading of 890 ohms, so I assume it is not that. My fuel pump initially makes a noise and I checked for pressure on the fuel rail and there was pressure. The DIC was replaced under recall on 3/06 (10k miles ago) Could it be the DIC already? Any other thoughts before I call up the dealer?
Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The CPS resistance should be measured both cold and hot.. I recall 850 +/- 50 (room temperature)for the newer cars (T7 ??).The fuel pump can be isolated and then tested on its own merits.. But, there should be a definite pressure and volume, not a simple yes or no. A weak worn pump cannot cut it..

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Resistance testing of CPS did not prove adequate for me. I'd try replacing it since even if it's good, it will need to be replaced fairly soon so you won't be wasting any money.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to the local SAAB dealer and they suggest I spray some starter fluid into the throttle body and if the ignition is working it should at least fire up. Tried it and still no go. I can hear the fuel pump buzzing during cranking so to me the pump and CPS work. Pulled the plugs after cranking and they were slightly wet. Battery is almost dead from cranking it, so looks like it is time to take it in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I spoke to a SAAB Master Technician and he said that at least in my case the fuel pump that was supposedly installed by the previous owner could be bad or not right for the 99 9-3 that I own. The car has been starting lately after a trip to the repair shop , but I can tell she's ready to start giving me problems again, because she's starting to take longer to turn over again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took rotate's advice and bought a new CPS. Ended up replacing it twice since after I completely extracted the old one, I noticed the o-ring was missing. Pulled the new one off again and sure enough I had 2 o-rings on it. I assume it probably would have been ok, but I wanted to be safe, so I took off one. I also broke the tabs on the connector; but I assume it will be OK. Still does not start.

Should I be getting some sort of check engine light? SO far I have not gotten one.

DIC or fuel pump? anything else to look for with a 48k mile car?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
02KC93 said:
I took rotate's advice and bought a new CPS. Ended up replacing it twice since after I completely extracted the old one, I noticed the o-ring was missing.Good work to notice this, given the CPS location, a massive oil leak could occur if the O ring was missing. Pulled the new one off again and sure enough I had 2 o-rings on it. I assume it probably would have been OK with doubled O rings, the unit would probably not work, ect..., but I wanted to be safe, so I took off one. I also broke the tabs on the connector; but I assume it will be OK.I do not know about this, the tabs assure a good connection - you may have to fix this - cable ties - duck tape ???? Still does not start.
Go back to step one.....:suprised;

Should I be getting some sort of check engine light? SO far I have not gotten one.

DIC or fuel pump? anything else to look for with a 48k mile car?
The CEL is primarily emissions based, usually "no fuel" will not trigger the CEL, but "no electric" can...

I also think I would try re-installing the CPS - its positioning must be exact, as I see it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I was not clearer, the tabs on the CPS I broke were the tabs on the wire connection that hold it within the bracket, the connection and sensor are fine.

I checked the fuel pump and had 5.8 amps of current and definitely heard the fuel flowing into the fuel rail. Can't find my fuel pressure gauge, but I am going to guess that since the amp draw is ok pump is OK

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am experiencing same problems. I started it this morning, went to store, started again, got home, tried starting again and it wouldnt. It cranks but not start. I let it sit for 10 minutes, tried again and it started. This sounds like a bad cps to you guys? If cps goes bad, car cranks but doesnt start right? Or no crank at all?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The CPS signal is sent to the ECU, this in turn controls the FP and the DIC and the tach.
Thats it.
If a no-start, many things factor in, such as the :
ignition switch
ECU
harnesses
charging system/battery
CPS
DIC
FP
spark plugs
engine valve timing
compression
vacuum leak,severe.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well, the plugs are wet and the tach moves when cranking?

So the fuel pump is working to wet the plugs and the CPS is triggering the ECU to move the Tach.

Time to beg, borrow or steal a DIC. And charge the battery.

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts