SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum so I hope this is in the right place. I recently picked up a 02 vert 100k miles 5 speed manual and was wondering about exhaust options. I am planning to do a maptune stage 1 and an intake as well. I have been looking at a maptun catback but I really don't want any drone (not saying it would cause drone, just curious.) The car runs at around 2300-3000 RPM at highway speed. I mostly want something that I'll hear when I really get on it. Any suggestions? Thanks -

·
Premium Member
2000 93 SE Vert Auto 2001 93 SE Vert 5spd
215 Posts
I recently went through a similar exercise, looking for something sporty but quiet. I ended up buying the Maptun Cat Back system item number: 04-13037 - actually I ordered two of them as both my Saabs have rusty exhausts and small leaks. I ordered them on April 23rd and they have not yet arrived. They sent a FedEx number, but it still just says "Label Created" and the delivery date is Pending. I have no idea if they have been shipped or not.

GenuineSaab has a BSR system, which looks to me to be the same as the Maptun. It was slightly more expensive, but the shipping would be faster. They are great to deal with and have some very nice mods for stiffening the Vert suspension (rear anti roll bar, six point subframe brace, steering rack brace and strut tower brace) - made a world of difference in the handling.
Catback 2.5in Exh 9-3 99-02 Wide Oval Tip (NOT VIG), GenuineSaab.com

Here is a link to the BSR Exhausts for a 2001 93 SE, but some of these are out of my price range:
Sport exhaust systems from well known BSR Sportflow, Simons, Ferrita and Akrapovič | BSR

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the price on the maptun catback. My current exhaust is fine so I can wait on shipping. Definitely will look into some of the mods for better handling. When you install them is there any chance I could get a video of what it sounds like? And your thoughts on the noise would also be well appreciated. Thanks for the quick reply 😁

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
868 Posts
Olim, there is another option - and there is a video of it as well.

I recall 'saab's of america' having a you-tube video of the parts, install and sound testing.

Having said that - The comments SunSaab makes are also very valid.
Hope you get a good solution.

·
Registered
18,798 Posts
I believe the Maptun comes with a large center resonator... so you won't have any drone. But, without a downpipe upgrade, I don't think drone is really an issue anyway.

The other option would be a used Saab Sport if you can find one (they last forever, so age isn't an issue). They have a straight through muffler, no center muffler, but with a stock downpipe even they don't drone. Just a nice tone when you're accelerating hard. Oh, and I drive slow through the Senior Only neighborhood.

Add a 3" downpipe and it's the other end of the spectrum. I have an open resonator added back to my 3" to Saab Sport just to calm it down a bit.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
868 Posts
Just a nice tone when you're accelerating hard. Oh, and I drive slowly through the Senior Only neighbourhood.
Very considerate there Bob...
But like the roar of a spitfire or mustang .. maybe the senior crowd is missing out on that wonderful Saab note...

Can't do that here in Aust however - you'd get slammed with the 'boy racer' rules .. and have your car taken away for 30 days..assuming you were speeding etc..

·
Registered
18,798 Posts
Very considerate there Bob...
But like the roar of a spitfire or mustang .. maybe the senior crowd is missing out on that wonderful Saab note...

Can't do that here in Aust however - you'd get slammed with the 'boy racer' rules .. and have your car taken away for 30 days..assuming you were speeding etc..
Some states here have zero regulations (or zero enforcement) on exhaust sound. Others are "must be factory"... which translates to "if we notice" you won't pass inspection and/or will get a ticket. Not all states inspect.

In Arizona, the proliferation of untamed 5.0 Mustangs and similar was beyond annoying. I lived in the suburbs, a moderate distance from any "main" roads, but you'd still hear the boy racers getting on their cars hard at 1 or 2AM. Open pipe Harleys (a problem in every state that the cops ignore) didn't compete. Just plain inconsiderate - dope slap warranted. Florida isn't much better in that respect. Seems anything goes. I'm all for "sporty exhaust" sounds, but there really should be a reasonable db limit.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Not enforcing noise limits drives me up the wall. I will never understand why these laws are never enforced unless the cops are looking for a reason to harass someone for something else. I'm cool with some shenanigans, but if I can hear your crap over my sound with my windows up it's too much. And idiot 270 degree cranks are always too much.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
868 Posts
Sorry gents - I was just having a little joke.
I was talking about the P-51 Mustang - not the 5.0-litre V8 versions...
Agreed - Some exhaust notes are unbelievable how it is legal to drive the car that makes them.
Bob - it's interesting to hear your comments about the Saab sport.
I'd love to invest in a new/upgraded exhaust, but I have more pressing items to fix. The news about Orio also has got me worried about some critical parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts