SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a minor fender bender, need to replace my front bumper on a 2002 93 SE. Can anyone confirm that a front bumper from a non-SE car is the same as one from an SE car? Part numbers are different and I can only assume that the lip spoiler can be added to the non-se bumper. Other posts say the are compatible, but don't confirm they are the same. Thanks - Jim

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
The only difference is between a base and SE bumper is the lip spoiler. There should be markings on the back side of the base model where you can cut slits so you can mount the spoiler. The same goes for the rear bumper.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks all, another question, the damage is mainly to the non-painted bumper/trim strip, can that be removed and replaced rather than replacing the whole bumper? Can't seem to find that part, but I've located a complete bumper.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
The trim strip isn't separate. It's just an unpainted part of the bumper, which is kind of dumb, if you ask me.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I need to repaint the one on my '02 … PO rubbed off a lot of paint. I think regular ol' black plastic bumper paint will get the right result, but I'm wondering if something off-black, a little greyer, might be better.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
FWIW, this is my '02 bumper. Looks like there is gel coat, then black paint on the rub strip and body color paint everywhere else. I'll probably sand down the rub strip to smooth it out, then use flexible bumper paint to make it black again.

It won't be perfect due to the damage to the body color section, but should look decent enough from 10'.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I bet someone refinished it at some point. My 9-5 has a refinished rear bumper. Any scrapes on the unpainted strip are much more obvious than they should be. It's also lacking the texture that the factory bumper cover has.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used SEM 39143 Black Trim paint on just about everything that is black plastic on this car. You can get masking tape into the slight crevice on the bumpers and you can push in slightly on the body skins to get masking tape behind the side body molding. Even up close, it looks OEM. Like anything regarding paint, it's all in the preparation. The side body molding, the rocker panels, the front and rear lips, and the A-pillar vertical windshield trim pieces got taped off and painted. I have to spruce up the rocker panels about every 2-3 years, but the other areas hold the paint quite well. Car sat in the sun year round for the first 17 years of ownership, so the SEM has held up well. I first painted the trim when the car was about 14 years old. Now it is a weekend car that stays under a cover most of the time.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Nice looking car, love the look of the RK's. Laser Red? I am restoring an '01 Viggen Vert in Laser Red. Anyhow -

The side trim comes off pretty easy. You can clean under it (very dirty) and it is easier to clean off any wax that might be built up on the trim prior to prep and paint. Bumper trim, take your time. Taping it off is a PIA.

The best thing I have found so far for removing wax or grease is a Rustoleum product. Forget the name but it is not harsh and will not harm the colored paint on the bumper. I have used flexible off the shelf primer but have not found an off the shelf flexible trim color out side of a professional paint shop.

If you skip the pro shop for trim paint, it will still look great and is inexpensive, and in my case has held up just fine. Just hope your bumper does not flex, say from an accident, then you'll have bigger problems anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Laser Red?
Thanks. Wasn't sure if you were asking if it is Laser Red, but it definitely is based on the original window sticker. I actually have all documentation from new for the car, including all the brochures. Yes, the molding is removable, but I was able to tape it off without incident (after cleaning it) and that saved time for me, as that area is basically straight. Taping it off didn't take much time, but worth it as I was also concerned about breaking trim pieces that have been baking in the sun for many years. I cleaned the affected areas and applied the SEM directly to it. Several coats. Did the same thing for the silver area around the foglights of my Ford Flex to make the whole area below the bumper black. This SEM paint is tough stuff. The rockers have to be repainted due to rocks and debris flying up and whatnot, but the other areas are still on their original application of SEM. The results have been well above average, I'd go as far as to say excellent.

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
SEM 39143 Black Trim paint o
The best thing I have found so far for removing wax or grease is a Rustoleum product. Forget the name but it is not harsh and will not harm the colored paint on the bumper. I have used flexible off the shelf primer but have not found an off the shelf flexible trim color out side of a professional paint shop.
There are "wax and grease remover"s you can get at an auto parts store that has a good supply of body shop products. Paint safe. A quart is a 25 year supply for most of us. Also good for bug and tar removal when detailing.

I've found the opposite with paint - the flexible paint in a spray can is easy to find but not the primer. What brand of primer did you find?

·
Registered
66 Posts
What brand of primer did you find?
No separate primer for me. No call out for it on the can. I clean the area and start applying the coats. I put about 6-8 coats on each area. The results have been great and trouble free, even on the front. To clarify the rocker comment above, I should've referenced the vertical trim piece ahead of rear wheels, that gets most the wear and has to be touched up every few years. The rest of the black trim I painted hasn't been addressed since 2015. Car is under a cover now, but for two years after I painted it, the car was not covered.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts