SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 02 9-5 2.3t. About 2 months ago I had a used fuel pump and new fuel line put in (i broke the old line trying to put the fuel pump in myself). It's been running fine...until today.

I noticed at lunch today that my rear tire was getting low - I picked up a screw in the tire. I put the spare on, drove it home, patched the tire. Then I drove my van to the gas station to air up the tire, and I get back to put the tire back on my saab and...you guessed it, it doesn't start.

I can hear the fuel pump running, and it sounds like its going to start, but doesn't. All the dash lights come on...and the SID reads "TIME FOR SERVICE".

I know very little about cars, and less about saabs in general - except that mine has been a P.O.S. since I bought it.

ANY HELP is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks - Will.

UPDATE:
I just went out to try and start it - it starts now. I tried several times, and it starts right up. But now the engine light is on and the SID still reads "TIME FOR SERVICE".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
get your codes read i was feeling the same way i mine was miss firing like crazy yesterday and and no Check engine light but i read the codes anyway and wouldnt you know multiple random missfire so i replaced Direct ignition and runs like a champ now. but the sure fire way is to get the codes read. if you live in the us Auto zone will run codes for you free of charge. if u post the code on here ill try to look it up for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,030 Posts
Three letters.........CPS, try changing it on your POS. Time for service on the SID means a service is due funnily enough! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
will 9-5 said:
I have a 02 9-5 2.3t. About 2 months ago I had a used fuel pump and new fuel line put in (i broke the old line trying to put the fuel pump in myself). It's been running fine...until today.

I noticed at lunch today that my rear tire was getting low - I picked up a screw in the tire. I put the spare on, drove it home, patched the tire. Then I drove my van to the gas station to air up the tire, and I get back to put the tire back on my saab and...you guessed it, it doesn't start.

I can hear the fuel pump running, and it sounds like its going to start, but doesn't. All the dash lights come on...and the SID reads "TIME FOR SERVICE".

I know very little about cars, and less about saabs in general - except that mine has been a P.O.S. since I bought it.

ANY HELP is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks - Will.

UPDATE:
I just went out to try and start it - it starts now. I tried several times, and it starts right up. But now the engine light is on and the SID still reads "TIME FOR SERVICE".

Had this problem myself a few months back...service message on SID, basically would not start when it was warm, occasional misfire when driving.

Turned out to be the crank sensor

had new one fitted and all has been well since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cps...

Rokchk - Did you buy a used CPS? I'm having a hard time finding a used CPS for my year (2002) saab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
will 9-5 said:
Rokchk - Did you buy a used CPS? I'm having a hard time finding a used CPS for my year (2002) saab.
Why bother with a used CPS? A new one is only $45. A used one will probably fail sooner than later!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New vs. Used...

can you direct me to where I can buy a new one for $45? I have only seen new ones around $100. Thanks for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,597 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
will 9-5 said:
Rokchk - Did you buy a used CPS? I'm having a hard time finding a used CPS for my year (2002) saab.
Hiya, no had to have a new one fitted as car actually finally broke down while I was miles from home! ie went into limp home mode and it wasnt going anywhere!
Got towed to garage who charged me just over £100 supply and fit within a couple of hours. As Pab95 says it is prob not worth looking for a used one....especially if, as I understand, its not uncommon that they fail.
Good luck with getting it sorted out:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I appreciate it. One last question...can you point me to a good set of installation directions?
THANKS!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
will 9-5 said:
Thanks. I appreciate it. One last question...can you point me to a good set of installation directions?
THANKS!!
There is a good set of instructions with pictures at:
http://www.fixmysaab.com

The site is down right now for some reason. Check back later. Look under the 9-5 tab and then go to engine repairs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
pab95 said:
The site is down right now for some reason. Check back later. Look under the 9-5 tab and then go to engine repairs.
Or you could search out and use the intructions on this forum ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I have 05 9-5 that wont start cranks but wont run starting fluid in throttle body starts up runs great for 3 days then wont start till I repeat scanned no codes tach works fine have replaced fuel pump, filter,presure regulator,checkvalve at tank
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top