1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2002 9-5 Linear 3 weeks ago:

* 2.3 L turbo
* 155,000 km

Car ran great on testing, had been serviced at a Saab dealer to 154,000 km. Two owners (a brother then his sister), great service records. Really clean, well cared for. The works.

I've since put 2,000 kms on the car.

On a recent 300 km highway trip, the engine started knocking rather loudly, and the oil light started flickering on and off. I stopped, looked at the oil but it wasn't low. I topped it up anyway. Seemed to fix the light flash, but the engine knock was still there. Problem was worst when in 2nd gear, or accelerating.

I stopped by a local mechanic in this rural area I'm visiting for the long weekend. They guy was surprisingly knowledgeable about Saabs. As soon as he pressed the accelerator, he said "98% sure it's the wrist pin. That double knock is the signature.”

To make a long story short, he told me I'm best to drop a new engine in the car rather than pull apart the current engine...

A $1,500-2000+ expense!

Needless to say, I'm feeling a little upset.

He noticed that the turbo had been recently changed (which it had about 4 months ago at 150K+/- kms), and said that the turbo likely robbed the engine of vital oil fluids for some period when the turbo was acting up, and probably compromised the engine integrity.

This would also explain the inability for the engine to maintain oil pressure now.

A few questions:

1) Does this sound like a writst pin issue?
2) Could it be something else?
3) If it is a wrist pin, is engine replacement the best/only option?
4) If I need to swap the engine, what is a reasonable ball park figure for costs (parts and labour)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saab Sludge - Extended "Sludge" Warranty

I did a quick search on sludge and found that Saab offered an 8 year warranty on many Saabs due to engine sludge.

More here:

http://www.swedishwrench.com/oil_sludge_saab.htm
http://www.autosafety.org/saab-extends-engine-warranty-after-finding-sludge-problems-0

From one of the articles:

Saab is the latest automaker to acknowledge some of its engines could fail because of problems with sludge, a thickening of the oil.

Saab plans to inform the owners of about 132,000 vehicles this month that it is extending the warranty on its engines to eight years and unlimited miles from the time the vehicle was new, spokesman Tom Beaman said Wednesday.

Typically, sludge occurs when oil thickens because moisture and contaminants break it down, causing it to gel. That can reduce the lubrication of the engine, causing it to fail.

The models are:

The 1999-2003 Saab 9-5 with the turbocharged 2.3-liter four- cylinder engine.

Anyone have any experience with this? Be interested in any reports of success, tips, etc.

I think my Saab may qualify. I need to confirm that I first have a sludge issue, and that the "in service" date is less than 8 years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saab Sludge - Extended "Sludge" Warranty

I did a quick search and discovered that Saab extended warranties to 8 years for 1999-2002 9-5s with the 2.3L engines due to sludge.

More here:

http://www.autosafety.org/saab-extends-engine-warranty-after-finding-sludge-problems-0

Saab is the latest automaker to acknowledge some of its engines could fail because of problems with sludge, a thickening of the oil.

Saab plans to inform the owners of about 132,000 vehicles this month that it is extending the warranty on its engines to eight years and unlimited miles from the time the vehicle was new, spokesman Tom Beaman said Wednesday.

Typically, sludge occurs when oil thickens because moisture and contaminants break it down, causing it to gel. That can reduce the lubrication of the engine, causing it to fail.

The models are:

The 1999-2003 Saab 9-5 with the turbocharged 2.3-liter four- cylinder engine.​

Just confirmed with GM Canada that my car is covered under the special assistance warranty for sludge related engine problems. Got an appointment tomorrow at an authorized Saab service centre.

Hopefully, it is sludge related and Saab will pay for the needed repairs. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'd be interested in any first hand accounts, tips, etc.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I did a quick search and discovered that Saab extended warranties to 8 years for 1999-2002 9-5s with the 2.3L engines due to sludge.

More here:

The models are:

The 1999-2003 Saab 9-5 with the turbocharged 2.3-liter four- cylinder engine.
Just confirmed with GM Canada that my car is covered under the special assistance warranty for sludge related engine problems. Got an appointment tomorrow at an authorized Saab service centre.

Hopefully, it is sludge related and Saab will pay for the needed repairs. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'd be interested in any first hand accounts, tips, etc.
Yes we mostly all know about this its in the FAQs sticky at the top.

You will need every oil change documented but how that is done is sketchy. If you care you can get old invoices from even a company that may have gone out of business over that time frame if you know what I mean... My dealer even approved one that had copies in which several were exact duplicates with different dates ( but you can do better than that I am sure.,

Good luck there have been quite few approved

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks jssaab. Saabs and this forum are new to me. Didn't figure out where the FAQs were on this subject until now.

Hopefully, this is a sludge issue. Car wouldn't even start today. I'll post the outcome of the inspection and any dealer/GM response when I have it.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Thanks jssaab. Saabs and this forum are new to me. Didn't figure out where the FAQs were on this subject until now.

Hopefully, this is NOT a sludge issue. Car wouldn't even start today. I'll post the outcome of the inspection and any dealer/GM response when I have it.
FIxed.. you really don;t want th esludge issue unless they say its covered...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.