SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I just purchased a 2002 9-5 Arc V6 in beautiful condition with 128,XXX miles. However, I don't have history on the timing belt changes. I think it's safe to assume it was changed at the recommended 60k, otherwised I'm betting it wouldn't be running right now. As for the second timing belt change, I'm unsure. I am very hesitant to drive the car as I don't want the timing belt going out soon. Are there any tips that you can offer as to finding out the last timing belt change, or any recommendations of what you would do in my situation?

I am working on getting in touch with the previous owners, but at this point I am assuming this will be unsuccessful.

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
I think you have to make the assumption that it has not been done and get it done or do it yourself.

Big job on the V6, possibly why the PO decided to unload the car at 120K?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I must agree, if you cannot get hold of the owner and see proof you have to assume it wasnt done.

You have options, at 120K miles my Saab dealer replaced only the belt (if I recall correctly). At 180K I had the whole timing assembly replaced (rollers and belt), serpentine belt, tensioner and water pump. $ 1,400 all in all. A lot to spend on an old car but I decided to do it anyway.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I must agree, if you cannot get hold of the owner and see proof you have to assume it wasnt done.

You have options, at 120K miles my Saab dealer replaced only the belt (if I recall correctly). At 180K I had the whole timing assembly replaced (rollers and belt), serpentine belt, tensioner and water pump. $ 1,400 all in all. A lot to spend on an old car but I decided to do it anyway.
Wonderful not looking forward to that, I only paid $2600 for the car... I personally dont know the last time mine was done I'm almost at 170k so Im would also guess mine was done at least twice maybe 3 times? Im not sure what the recommended intervals are. 60k?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
$ 1400.00 seems to be overpriced. I just had mine done at 180K back in March 2013 and out the door it was about $750 including the price of the parts. I had the water pump changed too. My mechanic lets me bring my own parts, so that saved some money. It is the same basic engine as the Caddy Catera and the V6 in the L series Saturn, so any good mechanic should be able to do it. It doesn't have to go to a Saab dealership.

The timing kits for these cars have dropped in price at rock auto and e-euro.

·
Registered
290 Posts
60K is the interval. You should get in touch with the previous owner. As jlthunder said, any Saab/Caddy indy can do this job. DIY is also doable with a very detailed step to step guide from a forum member here. I got mine done, including all the tensioners and pulleys, water pump and serpentine belts, for about $800 out the door from a local indy.

Wonderful not looking forward to that, I only paid $2600 for the car... I personally dont know the last time mine was done I'm almost at 170k so Im would also guess mine was done at least twice maybe 3 times? Im not sure what the recommended intervals are. 60k?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Mine was done at one of the few remaining Saab dealers and yes, there is a lot of money to save if you buy aftermarket parts - nothing wrong with that. I went with all Saab parts.

Intersting thing, I went to a local indy shop what works on Saabs for pricing and they were even more expensive that the dealership. The fool priced the work as if he was a full blown Saab dealership (but with a fraction of the overheads) :nono;

·
Registered
519 Posts
I did mine myself as per Greg benders's very detailed instructions. I followed them exactly and no problem. It is not a small effort but very manageable. I replaced water pump, all the pulleys and tensioner.

I WISH I had done the thermostat at the same time as that is a bigger friggin job than the timing belt IMO. It is much easier to do at the same time as everything else. I regret not doing it. A smart bit of preventative maintenance....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts