SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If everthing works out we will be the owners of a saab by tomorow night.

It is a litte bit of a project but overall it is pretty clean.

The top is in good shape but doesnt work. The owner said the fluid is lower than the minimum level. Is that enough to keep it from running? You can hear the pump run if you release the top and press the button.

Is it possible to manually lower the top?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well i spent some time on the forum and found what i needed. Looks like there is a chance that it could be an easy fix.

If everyrhing works out i will post a formal into.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
If everthing works out we will be the owners of a saab by tomorrow night.

It is a litte bit of a project but overall it is pretty clean.

The top is in good shape but doesnt work. The owner said the fluid is lower than the minimum level. Is that enough to keep it from running? You can hear the pump run if you release the top and press the button.

Is it possible to manually lower the top?
I think that the low fluid level would not prevent operation if its not too low..
Also, I'd look for a leak, or maybe its accumulated seepage for ten years.

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
FYI - if it's a leaking hydraulic cylinder, it can be $500 for a replacement part. I think there are some folks who can rebuild them. A minor leak isn't too bad, you can add fluid once a year... but a more substantial leak would need repair.

The drains for the area are in front of the rear wheels. If there's fluid leaking out on a daily basis, I'd worry. Check both sides to gauge the problem.

Definitely a negotiating point for sale though!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If there was a leak from the cylinder, would it leak when sitting? I don't think he tried the top since last year and the tank is 1/4"below minimum. The car has been sitting since early spring. I didn't see any oil under the car.

To confirm, I can go to the Chevy dealership down the street and buy the GM top oil?

I did see that the cylinders are $500 before I went to look at it. If it just needs one than I would be okay but it would no longer be a deal at that point.

I need needs a couple of other things and I would like to do some maintenance before we drive it.

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
Whether it would leak when standing there is an open question. I'd say that the cylinders would not leak unless you triggered the pump. If it had been being used, then there would probably be some accumulated fluid in the tubes that would leak out when it was parked. But, if he knew it wasn't working and he wasn't using it, he might have been able to park it and it might stay dry udnerneath.

I don't know if GM dealers sell the fluid or not. Saab used a rather specialized fluid, although folks have refilled with other hydraulic fluids. I think there was one top mechanics repairer here for a short while who suggested Mercedes or BMW fluid. You might google here for that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called a couple of places and cannot fid the GM fluid. They gave me a delco number. It was not in stock at the places I checked but he said it would be $75.

Any other suggestions?
I am going to start looking into the mercedes option but I dont know if a dealership anywhere are around where I live

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
I called a couple of places and cannot fid the GM fluid. They gave me a delco number. It was not in stock at the places I checked but he said it would be $75.

Any other suggestions?
I am going to start looking into the mercedes option but I dont know if a dealership anywhere are around where I live
Yeah, it ain't cheap and parts are just starting to flow to Saab Parts NA as of yesterday from what I hear.

Read this post: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2148602&postcount=9

·
Registered
182 Posts
Citroen LHM is fine on most hydrailic systems, except jaguar self leveling systems

1 - 9 of 9 Posts