SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a whinning transmission with movement, and my mechanic thinks its a carrier bearing or input bearing. They are suggesting $5G to fix the problem. Are there any refurbished transmissions out there, especially in Canada? Suggestions on fixing this beast!

·
Registered
9,366 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual, and it whines with all motion. Thanks for the connection-i feel like I've been looking everywhere, just need some direction.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Does it whine when sitting still in neutral with the engine running? Does the noise or frequency change as you speed up or slow down? Is it worse in cold weather? My 900 made a bit of whining sound from the final drive gears (I assume), but it never caused an issue. On the other hand, if the noise suddenly starts to get worse, then there may be something failing.

You are still best off getting a second opinion. Where are you located in Canada?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, if the car is sitting still, even in gear is doesn't make a sound. As you accelerate the pitch of the whine increases. I thought it was a CV joint, but the mechanic and his transmission partner believe it to be the input bearing and/or carrier barring (or differential carrier) or gear set. They won't know until then tear it down. I'm in Collingwood Ontario.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I don't think there's any good sense in tearing down the transmission. If it's verified to be bad, replace with a used unit. They don't go bad all that often. There are places in Toronto like Zoom and Beacon who probably have known good transmission on hand.

I don't even know if internal parts are available for these.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks tons! I can get parts from AutoPartsWAY and they are actually reasonable with free shipping (vs RockAuto). I'll call these guys and see what they have

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Nordicspeed is in Canada, and has free shipping. Not sure AutoPartsWay has what you will need. (They are hit an miss. I've gotten wrong items from them, too.) Beacon and Zoom still actually specialize in Saabs.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I talked with Nigel at Zoom. He figures that the most a used transmisison, installed, with various ancillary bits like throwout bearing fixed, would be $2.5K. The parts supply for transmissions is slow (from Sweden) and you need special tools for the bearings. But, he also pointed out that there's no way of knowing what's bad in your present transmission without opening it up. It may be something simple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked with Nigel at Zoom. He figures that the most a used transmisison, installed, with various ancillary bits like throwout bearing fixed, would be $2.5K. The parts supply for transmissions is slow (from Sweden) and you need special tools for the bearings. But, he also pointed out that there's no way of knowing what's bad in your present transmission without opening it up. It may be something simple.
Thanks, very helpful

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This information is nearly ten years old....
What do you mean? I asked the question four days ago. If the information was easily obtainable, I didn't see where. Thankfully, helpful and informative people like EdT directed me to the exact place I need to be.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
If you're doing the tranny, do the clutch and replace the slave. Throwout is integral to the slave. As for the carrier bearing, it's external and can be replaced without pulling the tranny. If you are pulling the tranny, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts