SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Will and I was looking at a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE 4 dr hatchback. It has the 2.0 turbo ecopower engine and it has a top engine knock and I believe its a lifter. I was just wondering to what extent and how much it would be to replace a lifter and maybe even a cam. Also if its not a lifter and say a wrist pin instead how difficult that would be aswell. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
A knock would be a bearing
beware of sludge and poor/no maintenance.
A tap is ? I am not sure
A tick may be the lifter.
$500 tops...for the car if otherwise OK

·
Registered
18,908 Posts
What earthworm said.

If you do an audio (video) tape of the sound then you might get a better analysis.

You can replace the bearings with the engine in the car if it's a rod bearing. Sometimes those jobs get larger though i.e. if it's been run with sludge accumulation or with poor oil change intervals, it might need more work.

I agree with the $500 estimate... you could still part it out at that price if the motor is beyond reasonable repair.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As earthworm said many many dollars + LABOR. Mine did this for a while after she sat in the driveway for 3+ days went away after 15 min or so though. I would suspect you aren't getting proper lubrication to your valvetrain. 1st things first are you running the proper oil (so many debates on this;)). I run the rotella 5W40 full synth (blue jug) and have had no problems. Second I would pull your valve cover and give it a good inspection and a good cleaning while you are in there :cheesy:. And drop the pan and clean that screen!!!
I had great luck with the seafoam aerosol to blast the oil ports clean once you remove the VC and pan. But if earthworm has other ideas he has spot on IME. Best of luck ;ol;

1 - 4 of 4 Posts