SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 2.0lt 9-5 Linear, 2001 2.3lt 9-5 SE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just joined. Hope this helps someone. First the leak, then the sensor. For God knows what reason the SID decided to tell me 'CHECK WASHER FLUID LEVEL' on every startup. Here's what I did and if I had to do it again, I'd budget 15 mins.

I knew I had a leak, so I started there. Raised the car and supported it 100% safely, moved wheel arch trim out of the way (best to turn the wheel out, towards you) and quickly found the problem. Both pumps were leaking at the swivel where they meet the hoses. Decided to remove the swivel section and connect hoses directly. Swivel seal seems superfluous and doomed to fail eventually. It just breaks/pulls off. To do this, first remove the pump(s) by levering straight up (it's male to the tanks female). Once swivel seal removed, the hose furthest to the front of the car just pushes onto the pump output immediately (thicker hose) but the second pump (behind wheel arch trim) required some heavy sandpaper to reduce the output nozzle's external diameter before the hose snugged on (smaller hose). Leak fixed. I'd say that's the usual cause of leaks, so start there before removing the tank..which looks very robust.

Filled tank, added cleaner and washed my hands. On startup, despite the tank being totally full, the SID told me to 'CHECK WASHER FLUID LEVEL' again. To make a long story short, removing fuses to clear warnings etc. didn't work. Got back in there to examine the sensor (pulls out like the pumps) and found the float was moving up/down unimpeded. Then discovered that SID would warn me CWFL when full but say nothing when empty (!?). Enough of this nonsense. I decided to simply bridge the female contacts with a bit of copper fuse-wire and reconnect the sensor to power.

Result, no more ####! message and a tank that doesn't leak. Now just need to hack my massive, but damaged brain to remember to fill it.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
You have SID from older car (98-01). Difference is washer fluid level sensor working opposite.
When you have "washer fluid level low, refill" in SID, you do not have headlamp washer, only windshield washer.
You can either swap SID to 02 version or swap sensor to older one or use relay to alter contact to SID.

·
Registered
2002 2.0lt 9-5 Linear, 2001 2.3lt 9-5 SE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man...I had read similar, disparate info around the web, but you lay it out best so thank you. Yes, I swapped SID with my 2001 9-5 (pixels better). The leak began about the same time so the two issues became confused. I guess I'll swap sensors with the 01 and post the outcome. Sunny day in AKL, things feel normal but let's see. Stay covid19 safe amigo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts