SaabCentral Forums banner

2001 Viggen clutch troubles

1938 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  earthworm
I was driving down the road yesterday, and left a stop light. At that point, I couldn't shift into any gear. Rolling to the side of the road, I could force the shifter into reverse (no forward gears), and hold the car with the brakes. As soon as you lift off the brakes, it would roll backwards.

My thoughts: slave cylinder is gone, leaking fluid onto the clutch, allowing slippage when forced into reverse, but grabbing enough to move the car backwards.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance ...
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,163 Posts
Certainly sounds like a slave cylinder problem.

"My thoughts: slave cylinder is gone, leaking fluid onto the clutch, allowing slippage when forced into reverse, but grabbing enough to move the car backwards."

Do you have the clutch pedal pressed down when you're doing this?

Any sign of leakage under the car after leaving it overnight?

· Registered
129 Posts
I just had this same scenario and was indeed the slave cylinder gone bad. Mine had went to the floor and had very little clutch left and a whole lot of play. I didnt have enough clutch to even make it go in reverse and didnt want to screw anything else up by grinding gears. Since I didnt want to pay to have it towed to a mechanic I used the old method of putting a stick or something long enough to hold the pedal to the floor and opened up the brake cap and let it sit overnight. Cover the brake cap with something just to not get dirt in it and let it sit open overnight with the clutch all the way to the floor. I know this doesnt work for all, but for me when I put the brake cap back on and removed the piece of metal holding the clutch to the floor I had enough clutch left to drive it to the mechanic where it was a $750 bill to repair the slave cylinder. Hope that helps.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the main oil seal a tough job? I definitely want to take care of things while I have it apart.

I was planning on the clutch disc, pressure plate, slave cylinder, master cylinder (while the system is open, they're not that expensive); and then putting in some better mounts to firm everything up while I'm under there.

Thanks again for the response.

· Registered
21,586 Posts
Its the master cylinder with an internal leak.
Save your leg strength, the slave is moving just a little if at all.
Saab had the same problem with hydraulic back in the 60s and 70s.
The master would leak internally and the slave externally...$10 to $20 was all it took for the slave and a bit more for the master.
The slave is intregated with the TO bearing, making its replacement an expensive operation.
Do check your fluid levels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.