SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I'm a BMW guy, but my girlfriend has a 2001 9-5 SE V6 that's starting to act up. On startup, the exhaust puts out a puff a blue smoke, it idles rough, and the other day when I warmed her car up for her in the morning she came out to find the engine had stalled.

The car has 110,000 miles on the clock. The previous owner had all work including oil changes done at all proper intervals with the dealer, and semi-synth 5W-40 was used. This was until he sold it to my gf's father at 60,000 miles. Her father then ran dino in it until now, most likely 5W-40.

I've done some searching on the forum the past few days and found out a few things. With the V6 the problem sounds like the turbo seals are starting to leak. My questions for you are:

- Any ideas if this car is covered under Saab's 8 year repair clause for these engines?
- It sounds like this car has the Garret 17 turbocharger. What would the best course of action be to rectify this - new turbo, have a shop rebuild it, or get a rebuild kit myself? On the last part, how hard would it be to rebuild the turbo?
- From what I garnered, the V6 doesn't have the sludging issues the I4 has, but would dropping the sump be a good idea especially since dino was run since 60k including cold-weather and short trip/start and stop environments?
- Where can I find PCV hoses for this car? I've looked on the sites I've found here on the forum (partsforsaabs, genuinesaab, eEuroparts) but I can only seem to find kits for the 4 cylinder cars. Any help on the specific parts for the PCV system would be amazing.

I'm planning on changing the fuel and air filters, spark plugs, and testing the fuel pump as well. Any other ideas in addition are most appreciated.

Thanks for all of your help!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The 8 year warranty is an anti sludge thing I believe, so thats the 4 cylinder cars.

The PCV system problems again are the 4 cylinder cars so I wouldnt worry about that on the V6

Sounds like turbo seals, so yes its replace or rebuild the turbo sadly :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, that makes sense. What do most of you guys do when your turbos bite the dust? Buy a new turbo, have a shop rebuild your turbo, or DIY rebuild? I'm pretty handy mechanically but I've never done work on a turbo. Is it something a person with intermediate skill can DIY?

G

·
I was in the same situation myself. A new turbo will run $1000+, rebuild turbos can be found for around $450. Parts for doing the rebuild yourself will set you back about $100. The rebuild doesn't seem that difficult but balancing the shaft with the turbine wheels is and you'll need special equipment for that.

I have read it's possible to mark the wheels and shaft before disassembly so you can put it back together the same way. However, this thing spins at very high rpm so the slightest imbalance or other imperfection can cause serious problems.

There is no one on the forum here I could find that has done the rebuild themselves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Sounds like a rebuilt would be the way to go (she doesn't have a ton of cash)... Any reputable sources?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome... thanks again for your help! So it seems now the choice is between a straight replacement G17 or a TD04 with a little bit of work... the hard part is finding repair information for this thing... I've got Bentleys for my BMW and all my buddies have Haynes manuals for their cars. :evil:

·
Registered
740 Posts
No, no, and no...

Simple replacement for GT17 (quite cheap if rebuilt) or for TD04 ("unbreakable") is ONLY in 4 cyl cars...

You have a V6... and you have no choice. V6 has a GT17 BASED turbo that does not have a wastegate and has a totally different, unique body (it is integrated into exhaust manifold for the front cylinder bank). You can't swap it for a regular GT17 or TD04, unless you will somehow (no clue how) machine a new exhaust manifold to incorporate that. The best options I have seen so far is either take it out and get it rebuilt locally or order one from www.thesaabsite.com for $1000 (with $400 core charge). A brand new one will cost you around $1600.

BTW, if you want to see and compare pics, check out this site:

http://www.s+p+e+e+d+p+a+r+t+s.s+e/shop/prod/res_mot_turbo_9-5.shtml

(remove "+"). The V6 one is the weird looking one with antlers ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just my luck... :roll:

Any ideas where I can find a removal/installation procedure, or has anyone pulled the sucker out of this car? I have found it impossible so far to find repair information for the V6 version.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts