SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size tires fit on a 2001 convertible SE with 16inch 5 spoke rims? I’m interested to know if 225’s or even 235’s are an option. Thank you.

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
The rims are 6.5" wide. Any tire data sheet (e.g. TireRack) will give recommended rim widths. I suspect that 225 is about as wide as you can go.

·
Registered
939 Posts
225/45/16 should work. 205/50/16 is stock and also probably the best all-around ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2001 9-3 convertible, bought new. Years ago I bought upgraded Saab rims and lower profile tires. I bent these rims in a pothole and sold them as is. I've since lost the specs of that purchase, and would like to replace them. Is 17" diameter the likely size? Would 18" work, or would they look ridiculous? Or drive poorly? And as above, 225 is the likely width? I know I'm asking for guesses, and appreciate any thoughts.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I wouldn't get 18" rims. The ride would be harsh and given the profile of the tire you would be apt to crack or bend the rims fairly easily.

I have 17" wheels now. I think the best all-around (ride, handling, comfort) are probably 16".

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
16" will work the best. To mitigate road damage, 205/55-16 tires.

17" rims are typically very heavy. I've measured a few Saab OEM ones, they weigh 11+ kg each.

The fact that 95% of the Saab wheelsets on the used market have one or more bent rims is pretty depressing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wouldn't get 18" rims. The ride would be harsh and given the profile of the tire you would be apt to crack or bend the rims fairly easily.

I have 17" wheels now. I think the best all-around (ride, handling, comfort) are probably 16".
Thanks much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
16" will work the best. To mitigate road damage, 205/55-16 tires.

17" rims are typically very heavy. I've measured a few Saab OEM ones, they weigh 11+ kg each.

The fact that 95% of the Saab wheelsets on the used market have one or more bent rims is pretty depressing.
Much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts