SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may not last long on YouTube, but I watched it here:

I found it less interesting than other Saab episodes on WD, but Mike/Ant were complimentary to the brand/model.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Interesting, thanks. The sound dropped out a couple of times but only a few minutes. I can't believe how little $$ they asked for it. I'm not surprised the guy bought it without quibbling.

Nit-pick - they didn't fix the radio antenna!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yes, the sound changes a little bit in a few sections.
It was good to see it on the video.
my observation: I was curious they didn't keep the CV shaft etc - as it could have been original, and just changed the boots.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Yes, the sound changes a little bit in a few sections.
It was good to see it on the video.
my observation: I was curious they didn't keep the CV shaft etc - as it could have been original, and just changed the boots.
I wonder where they got a remanned Viggen shaft.

·
Registered
2000 93 SE Vert Auto : 2001 93 SE Vert Manual
98 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I watched it on MotorTrend - Season 22 Episode 3.

Glad to see they sort-of addressed the hydraulics for the convertible top - but those hoses look like they will blow any minute, and my bet is that they will come apart at the connection to the pistons (happened on both my Saabs). I had my pistons rebuilt by Top Hydraulics, but mine cost $1,000 instead of the $510 stated on the show, but I had 4 pitted shafts replaced in addition to having the seals replaced.

I know that these guys are trying to make money by only fixing what is broken, but if I go through the trouble to remove the strut assembly I am going to put in new struts, replace the rotors and add new brake pads - at a minimum. Maybe thats why my Saabs have cost so much to fix-up.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Lep - Checking... So you have a 2001 Lazer Red Vert or did you mean that was your car?
Based on the production stats there's 1/100 chance it was your car..

I'm guessing yours is in a lot better condition eh?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Not my car. I am 1 of 97 laser red verts to US in 2001. Condition, eh. Currently mine is on jack stands, 1/2 engine removed, stripping front suspension off for refresh. In between knee surgeries of course, so you know it's moving along!

·
Registered
04 9-3 Auto. 07 9-3 Manual
5 Posts
Just watched the episode. Good stuff. Glad to see another Saab get mended and back on the road. I wish they went over the interior refurb more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, like how they refreshed the seats. Mine are not nearly as bad, but could use some treatment.
They used a special paint for leather. I have seen it done. The problem is it doesn't hold up over time, it looks good at first but will slowly peel or flake off. Especially if the leather was never conditioned and dry. That's probably why they didn't show them up close. It only cost them 60$ so kinda of a patch job.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Yeah they could not have done a lot on the seats for $60. Overall nice job done ..cheaply, respectable looking car at the end. The other thing I noticed was the wheels looked heavily gutter rashed (early shots) , but not so when finished , but no mention of any refurb .
I really wish the sound didnt cut out during the Top Hydraulics section on strut refurb , would have loved to have heard that convo in detail . Well not cut out but drowned out I guess protecting IP

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just hope that one day the value of the viggen starts to go up. Mike mentioned cars going for 10k. WHERE??? I'm sure I will hold onto mine for awhile. But it would be nice to see them start to bring some serious money. So anyone out there who owns one don't sell it cheap. Unless its a total turd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It may not last long on YouTube, but I watched it here:

I found it less interesting than other Saab episodes on WD, but Mike/Ant were complimentary to the brand/model.
Discovery Channel blocking the viewing of ths video here in the US due to copyright issues. No joy. Also saw a link somewhere else, but same issue.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
I just hope that one day the value of the viggen starts to go up. Mike mentioned cars going for 10k. WHERE??? I'm sure I will hold onto mine for awhile. But it would be nice to see them start to bring some serious money. So anyone out there who owns one don't sell it cheap. Unless its a total turd.
A nice one can go for $10K on the west coast. I looked at a $5K one yesterday that was fairly rough. It probably would have required another $2K to put everything right.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, everything seems to sell for more out there. I consider mine pretty pristine, and would be ecstatic if I got 10k. But on my side of the world (east coast) 4500 seems average. Its okay though I'll just keep it in the garage for another 15yrs.
20200623_181106.jpg
20200819_181620.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Saabbug really nice car, thank you for the pics. Had a 95 900 v6 green/tan that I really loved. Was in great shape but in 2005 wife wanted 9-3 convertible. Sold the 95 to good friend and he totaled it when someone ran a light 2 days later, all were ok due to the safe Saab but arghhh, should have done like you and stuck it in barn at my dads ranch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts