SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a 2001 Saab 9-3 that will crank and won't start. Earlier today I was driving and my car stalled on me it wasn't much of a stall. I stopped it and turned it back on and it doesn't turn on. So I tried to puch to start it and nothing. I also checked the battery and it has power. Everything in the inside of the car works. Radio, Windows, light, etc. but once I start it nothing happens and the dashboard never goes on. If anyone could help be I would appreciate it . Thank you

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm assuming your car was running good and suddenly died while driving. In this case jump to either fuel problem or timing (crank, cam) signals. Do you have any engine codes that indicate there is a cam or crank signal problem? Attach a code reader and see if you find any codes.
Do you have a schrader valve on the fuel rail? Turn the key to the on position or try to start again and then press the schrader valve to confirm there is fuel to the rail. Be ready with a rag for fuel to squirt out. You can also listen for the fuel pump. This confirms you likely have fuel - at least the fuel pump is working. You can do some more cranking and then pull a spark plug and see if it is wet from fuel. This pretty much confirms fuel is not an issue.

You really need to test (in no particular order) fuel, air, spark, timing (ignition and crank / cam), exhaust, and compression. Others will jump in with suggestions, and maybe better or easier ways to confirm one aspect or another is good.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You are in the wrong forum. You need to be one subset down. In the NG900 and OG 9-3 area. This is for the 2003-2012 SAAB 9-3. Totally different vehicle. :)

·
Registered
18,072 Posts
Most likely suspect is the ignition switch.

Have you had any funny electrical stuff happening previously? Usually they cause some odd occurrences before dying.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Can a SAAB ignition switch be bad and still provide power to the starter to crank? I didn't know this. But, now I'm reading the title to the post "no crank no start" and realize this does not agree with the first sentence in the post: "will crank but won't start". I guess we need clarification from rigo1.

A running car can suddenly stop running due to a bad ignition switch. But when starting a car with a bad ignition switch is a no crank / no start situation - unless I need to learn more about SAAB ignition switches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do not ,completely, understand. Will the engine "turnover", meaning the starter does engage and attempts to 'crank'? Also, you stated you attempted to push to start. So this a manual transmission? If the engine will 'turnover' in a manual transmission and not crank. It is perhaps the 'neutral safety switch'. A test of this theory is to look at the tachometer when you attempt to crank. You will see a 'slight' indication of RPM

·
Registered
18,072 Posts
Can a SAAB ignition switch be bad and still provide power to the starter to crank? I didn't know this. But, now I'm reading the title to the post "no crank no start" and realize this does not agree with the first sentence in the post: "will crank but won't start". I guess we need clarification from rigo1.

A running car can suddenly stop running due to a bad ignition switch. But when starting a car with a bad ignition switch is a no crank / no start situation - unless I need to learn more about SAAB ignition switches.
Dave: Good catch, I read it as "died; no crank, no start" which would usually be the ignition switch. If it still cranks, that's a different set of suspects.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've tried to push to start it and nothing happens. Also I can turn the key and everything electrical works but once i turn it all the way nothing happens

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ok then this is a no crank no start condition.
I agree with BobSaabit: this is likely the ignition switch module.
A push start is a way to bypass a bad starter, but assumes you are still passing power through the ignition switch module and any other interlocks (like the neutral safety switch) so you get power to get spark.
So now you can choose to either jump to replacing the ignition switch and hope for the best outcome or test the neutral safety switch and starter to confirm the ignition switch is your problem.
I guess you could also bypass the ignition switch and neutral safety switch by installing a push button across the load side (pin 30 and 87) of the starter relay under your dash.
I think you should test and confirm, but what do you think you want to do next?

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi, just read this thread, with regards to my own issues.
could you please walk me through exactly where pin 30 & 87 are with regards to the starter relay?
and would this bring up the panel lights as well?
thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
Starter relay is under the dash on the drivers side. Pin 30 and 87 are the load side of the relay that go to the starter. Normally your ignition switch would energize the signal (low power) side of the relay which would momentarily (as long as you held the key to the "start" position) pull the switch close connecting 30 and 87. Your starter gets power and cranks the engine.
The wires are relatively thick Yellow and Orange. This relay has nothing to do with panel lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts