SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok on my 2001 Saab 95 I have been getting P0455 and P0420 since last month or so, I replaced the Gas Cap, 2 times already since I have been getting the code P0455 and Cleared the codes with OBD2 several times, but they keep coming back after I drive about 100 miles, so I kept driving it as is,
But last Friday when I was driving on long Route about 200 miles, and while car was on cruise at 74mph , the cruise got Off automatically, I tried to put it back in cruise it did not engaged, so when I returned back home late night and noticed that on idling the RPM are little above the normal, sounds like Throttle Body Limphome mode, on that night did not get chance to check engine codes, next morning my wife drove it for about 20 miles to local store, and today in the morning i started the car again the Idling RPMs were little below normal, and I checked the Engine codes, and I see P0455, P0420 and P1230 , so I cleared the codes using OBD2 , which shut down the engine, so I restarted now every thing is normal, but not sure for how long.

5 months ago I have replaced Throttle body (I bought uses of the eBay) at same time I also replaced DAC (bought from eEuroparts) , couple of other valves and rubber tubes were also replaced, so since those replacements it was driving fine without any codes, but I started getting P0455 since last month. Also replaced Turbo 2 months ago. and installed TD04 originally it had Garrat , since I replaced Turbo I never upgraded ECU program, could that be the reason for these issues?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Ok on my 2001 Saab 95 I have been getting P0455 and P0420 since last month or so, I replaced the Gas Cap, 2 times already since I have been getting the code P0455 and Cleared the codes with OBD2 several times, but they keep coming back after I drive about 100 miles, so I kept driving it as is,
But last Friday when I was driving on long Route about 200 miles, and while car was on cruise at 74mph , the cruise got Off automatically, I tried to put it back in cruise it did not engaged, so when I returned back home late night and noticed that on idling the RPM are little above the normal, sounds like Throttle Body Limphome mode, on that night did not get chance to check engine codes, next morning my wife drove it for about 20 miles to local store, and today in the morning i started the car again the Idling RPMs were little below normal, and I checked the Engine codes, and I see P0455, P0420 and P1230 , so I cleared the codes using OBD2 , which shut down the engine, so I restarted now every thing is normal, but not sure for how long.

5 months ago I have replaced Throttle body (I bought uses of the eBay) at same time I also replaced DAC (bought from eEuroparts) , couple of other valves and rubber tubes were also replaced, so since those replacements it was driving fine without any codes, but I started getting P0455 since last month. Also replaced Turbo 2 months ago. and installed TD04 originally it had Garrat , since I replaced Turbo I never upgraded ECU program, could that be the reason for these issues?
for starters stop overlooking the fact these codes keep coming back and fix the root of the problem....the first code is a gross evap leak......check all your vacuum hoses for breaks or tears and also double check every check valve as they can fail. Another thing you can do is disconnect the top line from the BPC and plug it with a bolt and see if you notice any difference.

changing the turbo without upgrading the ecu will not do any damage other than you will have more turbo lag when you boost up

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
for starters stop overlooking the fact these codes keep coming back and fix the root of the problem....the first code is a gross evap leak......check all your vacuum hoses for breaks or tears and also double check every check valve as they can fail. Another thing you can do is disconnect the top line from the BPC and plug it with a bolt and see if you notice any difference.

changing the turbo without upgrading the ecu will not do any damage other than you will have more turbo lag when you boost up
I just disconnected the Top line from Boost Pressure Controller while car was idling and checked if there is any blow or vacuum but nothing and I tried blocking the pipe going down to Cobra like Aluminum Hose and with T Join going back side towards Throttle Body, so no apparent change in Idling RPM after blocking it.(See the image attached) , Secondly I did visual scan of Vacuum pipes on this side but nothing visibly leaking, or broken, by the way I remember I replaced ByPass Valve and BPC like 7 months ago, before I replaced turbo, so not sure if their life is just 7 month? they were bought new from eeuroparts.
Also there is a Valve attached to MAF (see the image attached) I am not sure what that is and I never replaced that, although the 2 pipes going out of this valve seems ok, so let me know what should be my next step to diagnose this problem.

The RPM on Ideling are very low, some times on Signal the engine even stops
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=664C60BF0094A31A!6068&v=3

I also need WIS image or Wiring diagrams for Vacuum Pipes , so I can track them properly, specially the ones going in and out of Throttle body, and there is some kind of Valve also on firewall close to TB.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it does not seems like Throttle Body problem, as I recently replaced it like 3 months ago, when I also changed Turbo. the old one had this problem but this one was file until last week, secondly as far as I know if TB Spring is bad and going into Limp Home mode than Idling RPM would be rainsed but in my case RPM are lower than normal

I suspect a Vacuum leak but could not find it, so Any WIS diagram or Circuit lines Images would be appriciated so I can find the routes and leaks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

TankTak, Thanks for the advice, I just tested both check Valves and lines going from Boost control Valve to Throttle body, I opened both of the check valves and air is only flowing in one direction(Where the arrow shows on check valves), Throttle body is sucking vacuum continuously but that vacuum is NOT coming up on T Joint on Top Line of Boost Pressure Control Valve, so I guess problem is behind Boost Pressure Control Valve, so I did not tried plugging in Bolt in the top Line as there is no Vacuum or blow in that pipe while idling.

one more thing I noticed is the Throttle Body is going into Limp Home Mode right as I start the car, so I reset the TB Limphome mode couple of times since this morning,

I really need help getting this problem solved ,

1. All Vacuum lines checked, no leaks
2. No Vacuum or Blow on Top line of Boost Pressure Control Valve while idling
3. Opened both check valves and did blow suction test with month and air is flowing in one direction only
4. EVAP Perge Valve also seems good, as no air is flowing in either direction, but when I applied 12volts from car battery on its connectors air starts flowing in one direction so it seems like ok
5. Throttle body was bought used from eBay and replaced like 3 to 4 months ago and it was working fine since than, but today it is going into Limphome mode right on start of car. and idling RPM are way under normal when I put it in drive, and some times it even stalls, while driving boost Guage only goes up to middle of Yellow bar, before this problem started on last week end the boost was going up to Red bar

So Not sure what could be problem? please help I am really getting fed up with this car, too many problems, looks like its going to be my first and last SAAB
So Please HELP me Diagnose and fix the problem

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
get a code reader and read the codes, then clear the codes.....and then reset limp home mode<-------its crucial to clear the codes first before resetting limp home mode, make sure car is off when you do it, just have the key in the accessory position cklear codes and then reset limp home. afterwards start the car and see if it goes back into limp home mode or other codes come up .

also, just because you replaced the throttle body does not mean its not the source of the problem, it very well could be the motor going bad.

as far as vacuum leaks and where to look, check this link the user replaced his with silicone http://www.progfast.eclipse.co.uk/saab-9-5/Car De Sludge/5_VP/index.html

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
get a code reader and read the codes, then clear the codes.....and then reset limp home mode<-------its crucial to clear the codes first before resetting limp home mode, make sure car is off when you do it, just have the key in the accessory position cklear codes and then reset limp home. afterwards start the car and see if it goes back into limp home mode or other codes come up .

also, just because you replaced the throttle body does not mean its not the source of the problem, it very well could be the motor going bad.

as far as vacuum leaks and where to look, check this link the user replaced his with silicone http://www.progfast.eclipse.co.uk/saab-9-5/Car De Sludge/5_VP/index.html
Cool TankTak, it worked, I followed your flow and it reset TB without engaging the Limphome mode again. so it seems fine for now and RPM are also back to normal at idling and its smooth, but what could possibly the cause of this originally when I was on cruise nearly at 75 mph.

I just also checked lines on throttle body side and the solenoid lines on firewall, they all seems fine, only one check valve (on the thin line coming from front of TB and going to T on Tapet Cover, I guess that tube coming out of Tapet cover is for PCV system and going down the Engine ) not holding the vaccum on either side, but I am not sure if that could cause the TB to go into Limphome mode like this, as that is just the part of PCV

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

on this Link you sent me, wiring is little different than on my car, I guess my model is different, i.e. in the fist image on that link http://www.progfast.eclipse.co.uk/sa..._VP/index.html the line coming out of the throttle body is going to Vacuum switch on firewall, , while in my TB that line coming out of TB is going to T on Big Line coming out of Tapet Cover/ Head Cover, (and I guess that thick line is going to PCV system), while under the Coolant lines on throttle body there is another thin line and that one is going to Firewall Vacuum switch

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh by the way the codes I got before I cleared them were P1260, P1251 and P1662, I have first time seen P1662, may be its because I was unplugging and testing couple of lines while idling?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.