SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum and have been a Saab owner for only 4 months. Bought it used from a used car dealership. It's a 2001 93 SE.
I was wondering if anyone knew if my problem is common:
Drive shaft has lots of play going into the gearbox, its been gradually getting worse and now when i accelerate or have any load at all on the car it vibrates viciously. Also where the shaft enters the box (no pun) its sloppy enough to to move with your hand and there is oil beginning to leak because of all the play. (i'm just repeating what a mechanic told me after hoisting it)

Has anyone had this problem or heard of it on other 93's? or am i the lucky one :confused: .

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Are you saying that it has play as in side to side or does it just slide in and out easily? Which shaft, driver's side or passenger? Is the boot torn? Are you sure you don't have a torn motor mount or transmission mount? These are both common issues and majorly affect shifting in the way that you described.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose i need to be more specific and find out a little more info. All i know so far is what i posted above so when i get a chance this weekend or early week i will gather all the info i can and post again.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
CanadianSaab93 said:
I suppose i need to be more specific and find out a little more info. All i know so far is what i posted above so when i get a chance this weekend or early week i will gather all the info i can and post again.

Thanks for the reply.
If you have the car at home, you can easily test the mounts. Pop the hood and put it in gear, put your foot on the brake and push the gas up and down. If you see the engine jump (it will move a little) then you need to check the mounts on the fron of the car (transmission mount on driver's side or front motor mount on passenger side). Then do the same thing in reverse. See if the rear of the motor lifts up and if you feel a "thud" under your butt. If so, it may be time for a rear motor mount.

Good Luck. Let me know if I can help out more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try that. Could the mounts being a bit loose, or damaged cause the drive shaft (passenger side i believe) to loosen and give me the horrible vibration i feel when load is applied to the shaft ??

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
CanadianSaab93 said:
I will try that. Could the mounts being a bit loose, or damaged cause the drive shaft (passenger side i believe) to loosen and give me the horrible vibration i feel when load is applied to the shaft ??

Thanks again.
I'll put it to you this way. If you feel a heavy clunk or thud when you apply a load then it's most likely a mount. If you get a constant vibration as you accelerate then its probably time for a new CV joint.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The mechanic i took my car to said i could physically move the driver side drive shaft up and down with your hand. So i got under it just now and checked both sides. On the drivers side i can move the shaft up and down at the joint where it enters the transmission/gearbox. Since i was only laying on the ground i can't get a look at it but it feels like theres 2 or 3mm of play. I'm wondering what all will be affected by this.

·
Registered
152 Posts
When you moved the drivers side shaft was it maybe just the shaft moving up and down inside the inner driver?

There should be some play by design between the inner driver and the trans it's called free- floating. There is a PSI here for slighlty older model's but it will give you an idea.
http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/final%20drive%20oil%20leak.htm

Also more info
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117277&highlight=axle+seal
and

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62052&page=1&pp=20

On a side note I noticed you're location, be sure and check out this site for local Saab happenings

http://www.saabclub.ca/messageboard/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks paul, when i originally posted this i tried searching for similar problems but obviously didn't search the right thing. Looks like other people have had the same problem as myself but im still not sure what all will need to be fixed. One place suggested just replacing the shaft, but the seal will need to be replaced and from reading it doesn't seem replacing the shaft will fix the problem.

Brian

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey Brian
I looked back and re-read your posts and you mentioned a "horrilbe vibration" when accelerating. I would be looking at something else causing this other than the bushing in the trans. I think you also mentioned that the seal was just starting to leak in which case I would just replace the seal and "0" ring behind the cover.
I don't think that the looseness were the axle enters the trans would cause a horrible vibration and remember that what seems like a fair amount of looseness also seems to be normal.
I have a friends 02 9-3 at the moment that has a very loose left inner driver and axle seal leak but the car has no vibration under load at all and unless I can find a way to change the diff bushing without potentially causing other problems then I'll probably just leave it alone for now and just top-up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If someone else has the same loose inner joint and not getting the vibration it really makes me wonder. And when i say vibration, when my car is under load (not so much in 1st gear, but all the rest of them) the Whole car shakes and the harder you push the pedal the harder the shake gets - completely load sensitive. I had originally thought the vibration was coming from the front right, you could feel it more in the passenger seat, but now im not sure with the seal leaking on the driver side and it seems as though the shake is centralized now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
By the sound of you're description now I would be checking spark plugs and the DIC, faulty and/or wrong spark plugs and/or a faulty DIC can cause some pretty strange symptoms.
You have not said so I'll assume that the CEL is not on?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was wondering if i could be missfiring to cause a shake.. but like you assume i have no warnings in the dash. Which made me think it was the drive axle or in that area. (should still check to make sure they're in working order though)

·
Registered
715 Posts
CanadianSaab93 said:
If someone else has the same loose inner joint and not getting the vibration it really makes me wonder. And when i say vibration, when my car is under load (not so much in 1st gear, but all the rest of them) the Whole car shakes and the harder you push the pedal the harder the shake gets - completely load sensitive. I had originally thought the vibration was coming from the front right, you could feel it more in the passenger seat, but now im not sure with the seal leaking on the driver side and it seems as though the shake is centralized now.
Canadian: The left-hand inner driver is a "floating" type driver. It moves up and down by design and would have done this new. The right-hand design doesn't move when you grab it because it's secured in two points, the gearbox and the alternator bracket. My SAAB has 198k miles on it and has it's fair share of wear on the left inner driver (you can move it up and down ~ 2 mm) without leak or vibration. I wouldn't worry about the movement you are seeing and would look elsewhere for the cause of your vibration. I'd check wheel balance, tripod condition (drive-axle inner drivers) and tire condition. Has the car ever had a torn CV boot?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately i've only owned the car for 4 months and off hand dont have the list of work done to it in the past, since i've owned it there has been no problems (besides this) and nothing i know of to cause a torn CV. It doesnt seem to be torn (how would i know?)

But i've had my tires balanced and alignment done in the past week, car still pulls left after alignment, but i think what ever is causing the shake should be fixed before the alignment can be done.

Since the seal is leaking i think it will need replacement no matter what.. but after some reading im wondering if the tripod might be worn. I can get a left axle with tripod, boot, and clamp for 120 bucks (canadian). Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Before you buy a new axle, you can verify the condition of the tripod. First, look under the car at the CV boots and ensure that neither is torn (inner/outer, both sides). Once that's done, jack the car up and place it on stands. Remove the clamp holding the boot to the inner driver and slide the boot off. Slide your finger into the inner driver and run it along the sides. If you feel grooves, the driver is worn. If the grooves are deep, you know your problem and should replace/rebuild the axle. Inspecting the tripod will require a new CV clamp and you'll get plenty greasy doing it. I'd recommend a band type clamp as shown below. You can pick one up at your local Kragen/Schucks/Checker. The clamp is PN 6-5750 (see second image). They're much easier to secure laying on your back under a car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
At the moment i don't have many tools, or jackstands at my house (recently moved) and with the garage not heated, its a little frigid being -17 degrees C.

I may end up taking it to a shop to check out if the driver is worn down. If it does need replacing... could this possibly be causing the bad vibrations ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So i've taken my car to a garage to get the axles pulled out and check out whats wrong. I will post exactly what parts i needed to replace and what was causing my bad vibration under load when i get the car back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay so what this has come down to i believe is replacing the full inner drivers side CV joint. Cup, tripod and all.

Does anyone know where to get parts? My mechanic is having a hard time getting any after market parts and saab wants over 850 dollars just for the replacement parts they are requesting.

I will have an exploded view of what parts i am looking for and will post tomorrow to show more specifically what i will be needing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts