SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 9-5 manual transmission. Yesterday I was driving at around 40 mph when there was sudden jolt and the engine light came on. After that the car would shake at low RPMs and while idling. The shaking would stop (maybe not stop, but become unnoticeable) at around 3000-3500 RPMs, but then when I would shift up it would start again until the RPMs increased to that level.

Has anyone had a problem like this? And if so, was it a quick fix? I am supposed to be moving this weekend so I would like to get this taken care of ASAP.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds like one of the cylinders isn't firing. Are you getting any strange noises, like knocking or rattling, from the engine ? If not, have you checked the spark plugs ? Have you had the check engine codes read ?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Get the code read if you still have it and post the code if you can't figure out what it is. Sounds like ignition problem, so it's either one of the plugs or the DIC probably.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had the engine code checked. The mechanic that I usually go to and know and trust is gone until Tuesday, and I wanted to try to get an idea of what might be going on before I saw different mechanic that I do not know. I called another one who said that they're so busy that they won't be able to get me in until Saturday. He did, however tell me that it sounded like it was most likely a spark plug problem so it should be an easy fix. Hopefully that's all that it is

Thank you!

Breau, thank you, and what mechanic do you go to? I usually go see Patric Rooney at Grafton Foreign motors, but he's the one that's out. He's really good if you ever are looking for somewhere to go.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I rarely go to a mechanic since I do all my own work on the car, but a good saab mechanic around here is abj auto in somerville. You shouldn't need to go to a mechanic for this though, just go to any auto parts store and have the code read. It will most likely be a misfire in one of the cylinders so if you haven't changed your spark plugs in a long time or don't know when they were last changed I would start there and if that doesn't work you will have to get a new DIC. Get the code read first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts