SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought this early 9-5 Aero with manual transmission and BBS RK2 wheels in a nice silver, with only 70k miles. I has it’s own charm, but is well an early car. would like to bring it’s back to its glory and change into some of the updated later Saab parts from 2004/5.

What should I add to the car, I don’t want to change the exterior, but how about suspension, (really would like to know how to make it drive like a 2004), turbo, air intake, crankcase ventilation and so on, stereo.

I wonder what the main difference are to a 2005 aero?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Someone with much more of an idea about 9-5 history will probably be along shortly, I've only had two '05 9-5 Aeros. But I'm not aware of any major differences between an '01 and and '05. Some would probably say yours is more "Saab" than an '05!

Crankcase ventilation is certainly an issue on the earlier cars so you do need to check if that was addressed by a previous owner. Again, mine have been '05s so it's not a problem I've paid much attention to. Under the bonnet you should also be looking at replacing all the vacuum hoses.

You should give the suspension a good once over. Yours hasn't done the mileage but it has got the age. In my experience you should be looking closely at subframe bushes, suspension arms/bushes, ball joints, drop links, rear shock absorbers.

And welcome!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I recently bought this early 9-5 Aero with manual transmission and BBS RK2 wheels in a nice silver, with only 70k miles. I has it’s own charm, but is well an early car. would like to bring it’s back to its glory and change into some of the updated later Saab parts from 2004/5.

What should I add to the car, I don’t want to change the exterior, but how about suspension, (really would like to know how to make it drive like a 2004), turbo, air intake, crankcase ventilation and so on, stereo.

I wonder what the main difference are to a 2005 aero?
I don't remember if you have to take the entire subframe off a 2002+ 9-5 or just the suspension parts, but I fear you need to replace all of it to get the 2002+ driving feel.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
The only differences between a 2000-2001 Aero and a 2002-2005 Aero are the struts, hubs, and steering rack. I've heard that the hubs on the '00-'01 cars can twist slightly under hard cornerning, but I've never had a complaint about my 2000 Aero. The subframe bushings are different on the 2002+ "facelift" cars, but the change was for the worse. 2000-2001 models had solid bushings in the rearmost positions that last far longer than the ones with voids on the later cars. You can also use solid bushings in all 6 positions on the earlier models, which you can't do on the later ones. I think the bottom line is that if you replace all of your suspension bushings, shocks, and struts, the handling of a 2000 or 2001 Aero is going to be nearly indistinguishable from the handling of a 2002-2005 Aero.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Just adding to what Jeremy said.
You don't need another turbo, you need a tune to get to the 250 HP 2004-2005 level (yours is 230 HP).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts