SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Saab cranks, but won't start. I have already replaced the spark plugs, the battery, mass airflow sensor, clean air filter, crank shaft position sensor, fuel pump. The read out says: "open loop due to insufficient temperature" and "secondary air status from outside temperature or off" Can anybody help me with a next step?

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Get DTC read with TECH2.
Post DTCs here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My Saab cranks, but won't start. I have already replaced the spark plugs, the battery, mass airflow sensor, clean air filter, crank shaft position sensor, fuel pump. The read out says: "open loop due to insufficient temperature" and "secondary air status from outside temperature or off" Can anybody help me with a next step?
I'm new to Saab's, but not to cars. You have two error messages mentioning "temperature", yet I did not read anything about checking/replacing any "temperature" sensor? What about this little guy? (link below)
It's a temp sensor for your intercooler, I believe. Just left of your battery, right under your nose. Can't miss it.

I went and looked at mine just now (208k miles) and HOLY SMOKES! The two wires at the back of the connector had two breaks each in their insulation, and the (vinyl?) conduit those two leads ran through was just baked solid from engine heat. This was one extra hot and bumpy drive from short-circuiting. I will be removing and repairing this tomorrow. Glad I saw your post, and I hope this helps you as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your response Kangburg. I looked but did not see the sensor. I did find some information on youtube, which led to an ambient air sensor made of black plastic at about $8-10. The 91744442 part was not rated to fit my Saab. Can you send me picture of the location on your Saab? I have been in and out trying to get to find the location of the sensor, but here in NH it is icey cold with a strong wind and I can remain outside only for a few minutes. I am very happy with your support and look forward to a satisfactory solution.
May Yahowah bless you in all the things you do.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you for your response Kangburg. I looked but did not see the sensor. I did find some information on youtube, which led to an ambient air sensor made of black plastic at about $8-10. The 91744442 part was not rated to fit my Saab.
Thank you for the kind words. I am glad to help, and I hope it does help.

That is the correct air charge sensor for your car according to what I can find... below is the site I just bought some stuff from and they also list that same part number for your 2001. Feel free to do your own research to verify, though.

Don't buy that sensor until you look at it... if it is like mine, the sensor may not be the problem, but instead the wires leading to the sensor, and/or the connector.

If I am not mistaken, that $10 ambient air temp sensor you are looking at just measures the outside air temperature so the car can provide that information to you. This sensor would not prevent your car from starting, I wouldn't think. But I am new to Saab's. Can you post the link to the youtube video you found?

Here is a picture of where that sensor is located. Very easy to access. If you know anyone else with this car, they could unplug that sensor and try to start up, and see if they get the same errors as you. I won't be able to test that for you with my car for at least another week. I've got her a bit torn apart right now.

Can anyone else out there test my theory regarding this air charge temp sensor?

I've got an itchy feeling that when you put eyes on that sensor's wires, you will be like, "yep, that's no good."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, again, Kangburg.
This is the youtube video for the outside air sensor;

Also included, in attachment, is the web site picture which prompted my response about "not a proper fit".

Thank you for the picture. I will look again tomorrow morning when the sun is up.
Enjoy your evening, thank for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello, again, Kangburg.
This is the youtube video for the outside air sensor;

Also included, in attachment, is the web site picture which prompted my response about "not a proper fit".

Thank you for the picture. I will look again tomorrow morning when the sun is up.
Enjoy your evening, thank for the help.
That video is not addressing a no-start condition at all. It only shows that replacing that sensor will correct a faulty temp reading on the instrument cluster. I'm pretty certain that has nothing to do with your problem.

You didn't mention yours was an Aero. It will be different, you're right. I guess this theory of mine about the wiring might not apply to your car at all. I'll try to help you research a little more and get back to you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I guess I should have googled this for you sooner. Sounds like this "insufficient temperature" error is more than likely due to a bad coolant temp sensor.
That's not as quick and easy to replace. Carefully check it's wiring all the way back to where it joins the harness. The sensor itself might be fine.

Do the following google search and see what you can discover:

"insufficient temperature" coolant sensor Saab 9-5

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you look into that coolant temp sensor yet? I'm curious to know what you find, please update when you have more to share. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts