SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 01 9-3S and it came with the B204L engine with 185bhp. What is the difference in the b204L and b204R? What gives the R more horse power? What can I do to at least match the horsepower for now and then what can I do to exceed and get more horsepower? The car is automatic.

·
Registered
834 Posts
You sure it is a B204 Trionic 5? As a 2001 9-3 should have the B205 and use Trionic 7. The B204 was superseded in 2000 to the B205 engine.

Post up some pics of the engine bay so we can see exactly what you have.

sab

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I just recently bought a 01 9-3S and it came with the B204L engine with 185bhp. What is the difference in the b204L and b204R? What gives the R more horse power? What can I do to at least match the horsepower for now and then what can I do to exceed and get more horsepower? The car is automatic.
Your 01 should have the B205L engine, not the 204L.

Only difference between the B205L and B205R is the turbo itself (Garrett GT17 on the "L" and Mitsubishi TD04 on the "R", a bit of turbo piping to account for the differences in the turbos and the tuning of the ECU.

No reason the B205L ECU could not be re-mapped to B205R levels, or a bit more without making any other changes to the car.

Check out T7 Suite, a freeware program that will allow you to remap your ECU. www.ecuproject.com

I'd suggest a spare T7 ECU so along with your choice of hardware interface into the ECU, you're looking at about $200 to get the engine up to about 225 HP. Much fewer dollars if you're a more serious DIY type.

There are also some turn key, push a button on a plug in box to do the same thing, perhaps a bit more elegantly, certainly easier. Call it $700 to $800.

To push much further in HP, you'd need to consider some fairly substantial hardware upgrades to the engine, turbo and or exhaust.

Going to 250 HP will need a new exhaust system and probably a TD04. Past 250 will need a better intercooler and past 300 you'll need new pistons, injectors and fuel pump as well as a much larger turbo.

Honestly, the one thing that will be nearly impossible to fix is the transmission. It'll give out somewhere and the only real fix is to sell the car and buy one with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the info about the car. I am kinda new to Saab's but I really like them. I had a friend in college who was from Norway who swore by them and said they were the best cars. Enough rambling, here are the pics of the engine. I am also posting a pic of the intercooler with the serial number. Could someone tell me which intercooler this is? The serial number keeps popping up as a Viggen.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Water Glass Metal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much would upgrading the intake to a K&N or other brand affect the HP?
Which brand of intake would you suggest?

·
Registered
261 Posts
How much would upgrading the intake to a K&N or other brand affect the HP?
Which brand of intake would you suggest?
On the T7, hardware modifications do not really change the HP much. It takes software to pull all the hardware together and give a boost. Until then, the hardware mods just make the motor not work quite so hard to get to the current power level.

K&N Panel filters are about $50-$60. You can also get an open air filter from genuinesaab.com for more.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Starting in 2000, SAAB dropped the smaller intercooler and used the Viggen one on all both the B205E and B205R engine so you've got the correct IC for the car.

It's those of us with the T5 powered NG900s and first year 9-3s that covet the cross flow IC.

The ECU is the controlling factor in how much power the engine will produce. External mods might be required to support the demands of the ECU but external mods without changing the ECU are mostly "feel good", and won't produce any measurable effect.

·
Registered
19,182 Posts
+1 - a K&N won't affect power in any way. With a T7 and a MAF it's a bit of a risk. If you use one, clean your MAF frequently. If it gets dirty you can burn pistons. We have examples of what a bad MAF can do :-( I like a K&N on my T5, on my T7 I stick with paper.

First mods for you would be a cat-back exhaust and an basic ECU tune as win-K suggested. You can bump from 185HP to 210HP+ with just those mods.

As we've discussed in another recent thread, suspension mods are highly suggested for these cars. IMHO they are more important and more fun than HP mods, but YMMV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts