SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a question I bought my Saab at 82,000 miles thought it was a great deal and now it has 91,000 been great,but my check engine light is on and it had something to do with the gas,they said emission contro leak the first time that wasn't the problem replaced the gas cap that wasn't a problem can anybody help me out on this? I would appreciate it thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
bradt93 said:
Hey guys I have a question I bought my Saab at 82,000 miles thought it was a great deal and now it has 91,000 been great,but my check engine light is on and it had something to do with the gas,they said emission control leak the first time that wasn't the problem replaced the gas cap that wasn't a problem can anybody help me out on this? I would appreciate it thanks
Likely a good gas cap was replaced by a new cap...I think the EVAP system control valves can stick.... at times.
The CEL code will have to be known..The modern day mechanic has one tough job with these emissions/security/safety/performance laden cars of today...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my '01 9-3 at 95K miles. Kept me from passing TN emissions test, too. Took mine to the dealer and was told I had a cracked filler neck. Cost about $600(!) to replace, but it did fix it.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Any idea of why this super expensive part failed, after only 6 years ?
This is scary..
Was the fuel tank ever removed to service the fuel pump ?? Or was the car ever involved in an accident..??

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jcp0003 said:
I had the same problem with my '01 9-3 at 95K miles. Kept me from passing TN emissions test, too. Took mine to the dealer and was told I had a cracked filler neck. Cost about $600(!) to replace, but it did fix it.
I think I'll just leave the engine light on lol it runs great anyways,i'm not going to fix that expensive part unless it really starts to give me problems. So far "Knock on Wood" it's doing great no major mechanical problem yet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't really know why it cost that much. Doesn't appear to have had any prior damage or paintwork. I had just bought it used one month beforehand. It is my first Saab and I had NO prior experience with one or knew of any resources at the time (like these forums ;) ). I think if something like that happened again, I would ask a lot of questions first. Live and learn. Just thought my experience might help someone else with diagnosing....

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
jcp0003 said:
Live and learn. Just thought my experience might help someone else with diagnosing....
I have noticed that the filler pipe is plastic, and semi-exposed in the wheel well. there are probably a few ways it could be damaged... Not something I would want to tackle just after I bought the car, leaks in the fuel tank area can be hard to find.

Most of us have had one or two expensive repairs that take us by surprise <shrug>. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts