SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just got a 2001 SAAB 9-3 and am wondering if the PCV update situation is correct. I hope I attached my photos properly. In them, one would see there is a plastic stem coming out of the oil neck. The traditional white valve line comes off the oil neck via an elbow attachment, and goes down below, perhaps to the throttle. One might not notice my valve cover vent has only one hose from it, not the usual big and little. I'm not an idiot, but I feel like one. ALSO, engine burns anti-freeze, shows steam/smoke from the oil tube if opened, and from the exhaust upon start-up. Oil is milkshake. HOWEVER, the engine runs quiet and smooth. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
18,381 Posts
Looks very wrong to me. You need PCV Update #6. You can get a kit for that. Get the optional hoses. Go to GeniuneSaab.com, Tech Info, and read this: https://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files2/tsb210-2418 ed4 en.pdf

Aside from that, It looks to me like you have a serious missrouting of the system. Its hard to tell from the photos, but it looks funky from here. Do you have anyone nearby with a 2000+ OG 9-3? It would help you to be able to see the stock routing and take some photos.

·
Super Moderator
2,983 Posts
Oh my god! I think someone incorporated a spark plug boot for dipstick tube drainback on a PCV #4. Definitely go PCV 6, especially as it seems yours has been cobbled together pretty bad.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I'm making progress. [1] Should the arrow on the blue check valve near the turbo point towards the turbo tube, or back towards the T-fitting? [2] The small line with the white check valve, which points towards the throttle body, comes off the Y-splitter from the crankcase, right?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, if the vent port on the filler tube is a threaded screw-in metal fitting, not a molded plastic fitting, then that's not the right PCV fix, correct?

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Correct, the #6 update includes a new filler neck with a molded nipple (that is larger than the metal one). I think the metal one is added to the original non nipple neck in like update 3 or 4.

I'd order the #6 update with the optional hoses that will be enough to replace the entire system since what you have isn't remotely correct even compared to older versions.

·
Registered
18,381 Posts
^ +1 - and it's worth noting that the PCV redesign was done (five times) to eliminate sludge problems. Do the update. When you have time (soon), drop the pan and clean the screen. You're in the serious danger zone.

EDIT: Just noticed this after posting:

Oil is milkshake.

If you have water in your oil that indicates a serious problem like a head gasket gone bad unless it's just condensation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts