SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story starts like this, I had a rear tail light warning on the sid, I brought to a shop and they charged me $240 to fix it, 3 days later it happened again, I brought it back and they charged me another 220 because the there was a issue with the plate light wiring, 1 day later both plates lights are out, checked the bulbs and they are ok, HELP!!!! apparently there is an issue with the harness that goes to the plate lights, where do I start?

thank you

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Almost all the bulbs back there are easily user-replaceable. Sometimes the sockets and wiring can have issues, but usually it's pretty obvious what's going on. There should be instructions in the owner's manual for how to pull the lining that covers the inside of the trunk lid. Most likely, you use the nub on the end of the Saab screwdriver handle to depress the central button of the plastic rivets, at which point they drop out. There might be a trunk lid handle to unscrew.

Once the cover is off, the wiring has to be traced. According to WIS, there's a junction J121 where the taillight and licence plate wiring diverges. That junction is described as being "approx 710mm from branching point STC control module towards LH seat" which tells me that it's somewhere inside the car.

If there isn't +12V at the bulb sockets, I would next examine the wiring where it goes into the trunk--I assume along one trunk hinge. (I don't know the CV wiring system.)

As for a shop charging you $460 to fart around with taillight bulbs, that's outrageous. Obviously my first piece of advice is to never, ever use that shop again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The story starts like this, I had a rear tail light warning on the sid, I brought to a shop and they charged me $240 to fix it, 3 days later it happened again, I brought it back and they charged me another 220 because the there was a issue with the plate light wiring, 1 day later both plates lights are out, checked the bulbs and they are ok, HELP!!!! apparently there is an issue with the harness that goes to the plate lights, where do I start?

thank you
Almost all the bulbs back there are easily user-replaceable. Sometimes the sockets and wiring can have issues, but usually it's pretty obvious what's going on. There should be instructions in the owner's manual for how to pull the lining that covers the inside of the trunk lid. Most likely, you use the nub on the end of the Saab screwdriver handle to depress the central button of the plastic rivets, at which point they drop out. There might be a trunk lid handle to unscrew.

Once the cover is off, the wiring has to be traced. According to WIS, there's a junction J121 where the taillight and licence plate wiring diverges. That junction is described as being "approx 710mm from branching point STC control module towards LH seat" which tells me that it's somewhere inside the car.

If there isn't +12V at the bulb sockets, I would next examine the wiring where it goes into the trunk--I assume along one trunk hinge. (I don't know the CV wiring system.)

As for a shop charging you $460 to fart around with taillight bulbs, that's outrageous. Obviously my first piece of advice is to never, ever use that shop again.
Ill look around, thank you for the response

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thank you

thank you

thank you
Ill look around, thank you for the response
Could I possibly run the power from the rear deck lid fog lights to the plate light bulbs?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Could I possibly run the power from the rear deck lid fog lights to the plate light bulbs?
You would have to remember to turn them on every time you start the car....they're not on by default and the switch doesn't latch.

I suspect that tapping into the taillight circuits might confuse SID and you'd get taillight warnings.

I can think of some approaches that might work with creative wiring, e.g. wiring in a relay switched by the taillights, with the antenna power (always +12V) supplying the licence plate bulbs via the relay. But that sounds complicated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You would have to remember to turn them on every time you start the car....they're not on by default and the switch doesn't latch.

I suspect that tapping into the taillight circuits might confuse SID and you'd get taillight warnings.

I can think of some approaches that might work with creative wiring, e.g. wiring in a relay switched by the taillights, with the antenna power (always +12V) supplying the licence plate bulbs via the relay. But that sounds complicated.
they said I needed a new trunk lid because some moisture got into the plate light assy, cant I just get another plate light assy from a junk yard and swap it out?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I'm sure you can. But a new trunk lid!?!? That is absolutely ridiculous. DON'T USE THAT SHOP, THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND A RIPOFF TO BOOT.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Download EPC/WIS from the Tech II forums here, "WIS/EPC for Win 10". That will give you all sorts of diagrams of parts, as well as procedures.

I know the light assembly comes off on 9-3 hatches (I have one that I inherited from someone who parted out one), convertible is probably similar.

Taking off the lining from the trunk lid should at least get you started. The first place I'd look for a wiring break is however the wiring from the trunk goes along the hinges into the body.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I had a similar problem on a 9-3 convertible earlier this year. I think water got trapped in the spare tire well and moisture corroded the CHMSL and license plate lights. IIRC there is a ground point there that was also compromised. I replaced the bulb carriers with junkyard parts and cleaned up the ground point... very little work, very little effort. No further issues.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure you can. But a new trunk lid!?!? That is absolutely ridiculous. DON'T USE THAT SHOP, THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND A RIPOFF TO BOOT.
took it apart and found the short, thank you for the attention

1 - 14 of 14 Posts