SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 9-5 Aero

2001 9-5 Aero, 4 cyl. auto. refuses to start. Replaced starter, replaced crank sensor. Gets fuel, gets spark, even zeroed the engine and still nothing. Engine turns over but no combustion...
Has anyone ran into this problem? I am not really sure what els to check....
please help!

·
Registered
263 Posts
how is the compression

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Immobiliser?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
If you have no timing chain anymore, there is very low compression......

Otherwise the car should start, if there is fuel and spark.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have no timing chain anymore, there is very low compression......

Otherwise the car should start, if there is fuel and spark.
timing is in place, is fine, rotating as it should; even turned engine by hand to make sure everything is good and there is no problem. pulled the valve cover gasket and watched the timing chain rotate...so i know that its good.....

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
How did you check fuel? Only pressure at the fuel line or did you remove the injectors to see if they are working?

If you remove the DIC and put in sparkplugs and ground them to the chassis, there are sparks from single plugs while you use the starter?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did you check fuel? Only pressure at the fuel line or did you remove the injectors to see if they are working?

If you remove the DIC and put in sparkplugs and ground them to the chassis, there are sparks from single plugs while you use the starter?

after cranking a few times i removed the plugs and they are all wet with gas also you can smell gas. to check for spark i removed the DIC and put a spark in and check each port separate; however i am not sure how strong of a spark there should be. If i were gonna describe the spark i would say its more on the yellowish side...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
If you tried each port separate your DIC is most likely dead. To check a DI you need to put plugs in all ports and ground them, otherwise you kill the DIC. If you plugs are wet, there is a ignition problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you tried each port separate your DIC is most likely dead. To check a DI you need to put plugs in all ports and ground them, otherwise you kill the DIC. If you plugs are wet, there is a ignition problem.

that was my next thing to try a different DIC.....
so you think by me trying one port out of time i could have ruined the DIC?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
If the DIC wasnt dead already its nearly sure its dead now. If you want to test a DIC put plugs in all ports and ground them with a wire connected to the cars body. Otherwise the DIC can kill itself due to voltage spikes.

If you have a known good DIC, this would be the first thing to try.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the DIC wasnt dead already its nearly sure its dead now. If you want to test a DIC put plugs in all ports and ground them with a wire connected to the cars body. Otherwise the DIC can kill itself due to voltage spikes.

i ma going to have to locate a DIC today and try it. Thanks for the info; i am going to post my findings as soon as i replace the DIC.
thanks again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

***update***

replaced DIC still nothing......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, so engine turns, gets gas ( checked spark plugs after turning and they are wet), replaced crank sensor, replaced starter, replaced DIC...still no combustion. Even went as far as bringing the engine to marks and TDC and still nothing. Turned engine by hand, spins nice no problem, no noises, chain rotates as it should....i just cant figure it out.
any ideas?

THANK YOU!

2001 9-5 AERO

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you remove the old O-Ring while replacing the CPS?

Do you have access to a codereader?

the new sensor has its own o-ring and left it on. The old sensor had the ring when i took it out.

Yes i even tried pulling any codes and there are none, not even pending codes...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you sure you're doing the compression test correctly? Zero is really low. How is there "0 PSI" for combustion? That doesn't make sense. You'd have to have a busted crankshaft for zero combustion.... :eek: which I've seen before on a Caddy HT4100 engine, but only for 4 of the 8 cylinders ;)

Time to find someone with a code reader?

There is another thread around here where a guy replaced his key- the interlock was broken and the car thought it was being stolen...

Otherwise it's off to the dealer... let us know what it is!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you sure you're doing the compression test correctly? Zero is really low. How is there "0 PSI" for combustion? That doesn't make sense. You'd have to have a busted crankshaft for zero combustion.... :eek: which I've seen before on a Caddy HT4100 engine, but only for 4 of the 8 cylinders ;)

Time to find someone with a code reader?

There is another thread around here where a guy replaced his key- the interlock was broken and the car thought it was being stolen...

Otherwise it's off to the dealer... let us know what it is!

had a body of mine come over with a gage, threaded it in place of the plugs ( took all 4 out at once ) then tested each port individual and the best one was cylinder 2 with 4 psi. i kinda wonder myself honestly cause i have never seen an engine to loose compression on all cylinders. Do you think the test was done properly?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts