SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! First post here, but have read countless imaculate write ups and helpful tips, thank you to the community for that! Have a unique issue here that hopefully someone knows where I can get the part instead of having to buy a whole new gear selector.

As you can see in the pic, the green ribbon that moves with the gear selector is totally jacked. Would like to find a replacement if at all possible. Have looked all over the place, but I can only find the entire selector.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

15900215268658171404946421263745.jpg

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
I finally got tired of mine jamming and took it out. The only thing you don't get is a different color for the gear that is selected, but the dash shows me so I didn't care.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally got tired of mine jamming and took it out. The only thing you don't get is a different color for the gear that is selected, but the dash shows me so I didn't care.
Fair enough, I could probably live with that also. If anyones knows if/where the part is available, I'd still be interested. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Light box gear selector: 4777637
Wow! Helps when you know the proper names of things. You nailed it Mimmi, Thank You! For the time being, I cut off the tab so it won't slide anymore and locked it down where the orange stays on R. For $156 just for the part I need, I think I'll rock this for awhile. Thanks again, huge help!
Message_1590034794550.jpg

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Check local junkyards or eBay. I've had that green strip break twice on my 2000, and I've replaced it with one from a junkyard both times. I'm sure that's why the second one didn't last more than a few years, but it was great while it lasted. Your jalousie (the accordian-looking black part that slides with the shifter) is broken too. You might luck out and find someone selling both parts together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jeremy! I will call around. I got a jalouise coming from eeuroparts next week. Would be stoked on finding that ribbon for sure though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Okay just under the curved piece at top at the front of auto gear knob you will find a tech screw. Need special tool to undo screw. It hold both halves knob together. Remove that screw. Then you will find a c clip. Remove that and auto knob comes off allowing to change the galacy

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
It's a Torx screw that's in the front of the shifter. It's a little one, something like a T10. I always pull the c-clip out with a small hook. Sometimes it's in there pretty tightly, and I can't usually get a good grip with pliers.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I always advise against removing the entire selector to do the jalousie. If you lose that circlip .. if you snap the terminal at the sports switch,.. if you cannot get the wires in the channel again .... rather best just do the thin razor slice method.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Think positive and have ago or the other way is pay some one to do it for you. None of the above happened to me. Just take your time and pull apart and replace the parts. Check out tube all on there to watch

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
The last time I replaced the jalousie on my 9-5, I used that as an opportunity to convert the sport switch to crimp-on terminals, like they started using in 2002 or so. My sport switch had a broken rubber dome inside and needed to be replaced, so I snipped the old sport switch off, and crimped on a pair of tiny little terminals that I just happened to have on hand.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
"I always advise against removing the entire selector to do the jalousie. If you lose that circlip .. if you snap the terminal at the sports switch,.. if you cannot get the wires in the channel again .... rather best just do the thin razor slice method."

I always use a rag of some kind covering the opening so that if I do drop the screw or circle that I can easily find them. A white towel works great so you can see where the parts fell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts